Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
College Student
199 Posts
I use a TS6 chip. Not hard to install. Had it retuned when I got new injectors, but the can tunes were not too bad. I would look at H&S because you can plug a USB cord into theirs and remotely upload tunes instead of having to pull it and send it in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hydra is my choice. I have had superchips and DP F5. Hydra is way better and more versatile, plus seems to be the more preferred one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard that you have to bend tabs to get it installed? Was this a problem? I don't know that I want custom tune as I don't know anything about that.

·
Administrator
8,145 Posts
custom tunes are the way to go. they are written for your engine. "canned tunes" are one size fits all.
i did not have to "bend tabs" to install my DP f-5. remove PCM, clean the contacts, plug chip in, and put PCM back in the truck. the newer tuners like the DP F-6 and hydra use downloadable tunes.
the benefit of downloadable tunes is you can try them for a set time before buying the tune to see if it is rite for your driving style.

·
College Student
199 Posts
I meant Hydra instead of H&S.
To figure out tunes, what do you do with the truck. Is it bone stock? auto or manual?
Tow or daily driver?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bone stock now, 184,000 miles. Will be used mostly for towing a 19" vintage travel trailer probably 4,000 Lbs.

·
Administrator
8,145 Posts
that is pretty much empty towing unless you get into mountains.
i would go with a 40 or 60 HP economy tune, and a 40 or 60 HP tow tune.

·
Administrator
8,145 Posts
figure out who you are going with for tunes.
they will ask you for year of the truck, and the code on the computer. then you tell them what you want.
they will either burn the tune on the chip if it is an older style, or email you the tunes which you download on the chip. if you like the downloadable tune, you then buy it.
if you do not like it, you can try something else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts