Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome hasn't held up too good and is slightly pealing away on the inside of the wheels. I plan on sandblasting and powder coating them... just the insides....

Does the chrome need to be removed in order to powder coat them correctly? Or is a light coat needed of blasting?

Will baking the wheels in 400+ degree temps jeopardize the strength of the wheels?

thanks!

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Subscribing. I'd like to do all I can before bringing it to the powdercoating shop. I can't believe how thin the chrome is on my wheels....

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just irritating to pay as much I did on these...and have them do this. Especially after I was told you get what you pay for.. LOL...

2nd set.. should be my 3rd... LOL

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If it's peeling I'd probably look into getting it stripped. If the chrome was good you can powder it fine (although some shops say that you can't).
Make sure it's a shop that's done automotive wheels before as to make sure that you don't have any issues.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's peeling I'd probably look into getting it stripped. If the chrome was good you can powder it fine (although some shops say that you can't).
Make sure it's a shop that's done automotive wheels before as to make sure that you don't have any issues.
Good point... I would sure hate to have them get worse.... LOL That would be my luck..LOL

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Mine were peeling a bit on the insides...just the chrome...not all the way down to bare aluminum.
They sandblasted them and feathered in the rough edges then did a powdercoat primer which was sanded smooth just like paint then the final black coat was done.
They look awesome. Cost me 450 bucks for all 4 of my 22's.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine were peeling a bit on the insides...just the chrome...not all the way down to bare aluminum.
They sandblasted them and feathered in the rough edges then did a powdercoat primer which was sanded smooth just like paint then the final black coat was done.
They look awesome. Cost me 450 bucks for all 4 of my 22's.
that is what I want to hear!! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts