Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to keep my ’01 F250 7.3L PSD 4x4 auto with just under 190K miles on it that I bought brand new and am in the process of adding some updates. What was once my daily driver is now my big box store runner and wakeboard boat tow rig. The truck has always been pretty well maintained and is on its third tranny.

Currently the truck is mostly stock and the only mods to the truck are a cold air intake, 4” exhaust, Garrett turbo and an Edge Attitude/Juice combo which doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

I am getting ready to install a set of 35x12.50/20s with a 4” lift. I also have ordered a new PHP Hydra chip with the canned tunes to replace the Edge/Juice unit.

The truck runs pretty good for a 13 year old but doesn’t keep up with the new 6.7Ls (I have a couple of them in my company trucks), it is paid for a long time ago and has a killer stereo!

I have a buddy that is planning on installing a chassis dyno nearby in a couple of weeks and I want to baseline my truck before starting anymore mods. Then compare the results of adding the Hydra and canned tunes.

Now, since I have a hard time leaving things alone. Is there a “Next Step” without going too crazy ($$$)? I don’t know too much about modding these motors, always just kind of used them.

When I roam around the internet I see injectors from $1200 to $2800 a set. What do the different sizes mean and what other kind of mods are required to run them? (on a gas engine, you can’t just add a big cam without the heads, intake, exhaust etc.)

What about the HPOPs? If mine is fine – should I just leave it alone? I just picked up a Kiwi2 BT and am going to play with the Torque app

What are the intakes for? At $300 +/- they seem like one of the less expensive mods, but again, do I need/want them (of course I “want” it!!)

Anything else I should be looking at or keeping an eye on considering the truck has ~190k miles?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well since your on the 3rd transmission, I hope it's up too handling the extra power with the PHP Hydra since your lifting it and putting a big tire on it.

·
We In The Money Now
37 Posts
Like that fella Bruce a post or two up said set a power goal and do what you can to it little by little, Read power for NEWBIES in this section of 7.3L performance if you haven't already.That's a really good thread to read, it'll tell you alot of info, like it says the 7.3s are a very good motor but very pricey when it comes to making big power. O since your truck is an 01 you might even have forged rods,that's a GOOD thing if so you could put down 500hp if built right but it's all in what you wanna do with your truck, Tow daily driver or what ever.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well since your on the 3rd transmission, I hope it's up too handling the extra power with the PHP Hydra since your lifting it and putting a big tire on it.
if he gets rid of that junk edge programmer im sure his trans will be ok as long as the one he has now hasn't already been killed by the edge

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much do you want to spend and how much power do you want to make?
Actually that is kind of what I am trying to figure out coming from years of building gas motors where 400hp is relatively easy, but 600 hp is big $$ more and 800 hp is huge $$$s!

On a gas motor, I start with displacement (stroke & bore diam.) and head flow capability and work from there to build a system.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what combo of parts are needed to work together on these 7.3Ls. Everyone says that a chip makes a huge difference and can help a stock truck and is necessary for a heavily modified truck.

But what about injectors? Does a certain increase of size injector (along with a new "tune") provide noticeable results without a bunch of other required mods? I figure there is some "trigger point" on injector flow that mandates multiple

Is a SRP1.1 a waste of money on a basically stock motor?
Do you need to add new injectors, new HPOP, new manifolds etc to see a noticeable difference over the basic cold air/Garrett/4" exhaust setup?

Is this making sense? And yes I have been reading the "Newbie" thread, but it seems to be almost too much info, much like handing someone a set of encyclopedias (I don't think that my boys know what an encyclopedia is!) and telling them, "there's your answer"

I am looking to build torque, and it certainly may be that I am at the max point, dollar wise for this particular truck or it may be that I want to add injectors, an HPOP and a new set of tunes. I am most certainly not looking to build a monster engine that will tear up the dragstrip ($$$$$)

·
Vtwinrunning
14 Posts
Just put in a nice 2 stage mehtanol injector and drove my rig from Fairbanks Alsaka to Minnesota, to Ca, to Fl and back to Minnesota. I have a 12'6 pickup camper and pull a 14' foot trailer loaded with 4 motorcycles. If you have never run the Al Can (Alaska Canadian) highway it has big hills and I was running 50/50 mehtanol/water, man no problem and if I kept the RPM's up in the 2200-2500 RPMs she was making great horsepower and no hill was to big to slow me down. I have a 1999 early model and installed AC code injectors, with a #### chip from a place in Missouri. Just recently got a chip from Justin at DP tunes and man o man what a difference. My injection system is 2 stage and cost me $900 bucks, well worth the estimated 60-75 HP but you gotta run the 50/50 mix. My truck has 4" intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, stock turbo, DP tune shift on the fly chip with 4 settings. She has 250K on her, burns no oil starts instantly and I love her she has been nothing but good to me. Get yourself a methanol injector and propane injection and I know you will getting buying a 4th tranny.

PS Watch Bering Sea Gold, on Discovery channel on Friday's and you will know what I do for a living and why I was driving back from Alaska, my name is Dave Pomrenke

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...and drove my rig from Fairbanks Alsaka to Minnesota, to Ca, to Fl and back to Minnesota...
Dave, that is one hell of a round trip! And I bitch when I have to drive around the SF Bay Area!!

How big a water/methanol tank do you have and how often do you fill it?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Just put in a nice 2 stage mehtanol injector and drove my rig from Fairbanks Alsaka to Minnesota, to Ca, to Fl and back to Minnesota. I have a 12'6 pickup camper and pull a 14' foot trailer loaded with 4 motorcycles. If you have never run the Al Can (Alaska Canadian) highway it has big hills and I was running 50/50 mehtanol/water, man no problem and if I kept the RPM's up in the 2200-2500 RPMs she was making great horsepower and no hill was to big to slow me down. I have a 1999 early model and installed AC code injectors, with a #### chip from a place in Missouri. Just recently got a chip from Justin at DP tunes and man o man what a difference. My injection system is 2 stage and cost me $900 bucks, well worth the estimated 60-75 HP but you gotta run the 50/50 mix. My truck has 4" intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, stock turbo, DP tune shift on the fly chip with 4 settings. She has 250K on her, burns no oil starts instantly and I love her she has been nothing but good to me. Get yourself a methanol injector and propane injection and I know you will getting buying a 4th tranny.

PS Watch Bering Sea Gold, on Discovery channel on Friday's and you will know what I do for a living and why I was driving back from Alaska, my name is Dave Pomrenke
Do not do this...

Propane injection... Added TIMING...

METHANOL injection... Added TIMING...

DP tuner... ADDED TIMING...

Dave, that is one hell of a round trip! And I bitch when I have to drive around the SF Bay Area!!

How big a water/methanol tank do you have and how often do you fill it?[/QUOTE

Water injection is a great mod, however it is not, and should not be looked at as a HP mod. It is great for what it is intended to be used for...

LOWERING EGT'S. I've run water injection for 10 years now. It is great for lowering egt's, which allows you to add more fuel. Adding meth to that gives a HP boost at the expense of the cooling effect of the water. 30% meth does not effect timing enough to worry about. Levels above 40% do. 50% I would not recommend to anyone.

We can explain injector combos to you until the cows come home, but you need to present a basic HP goal...

300hp can be done with just a chip.

350hp will need a set of 160-175cc injectors

400hp will need a set of 160-175cc injectors with larger nozzles (30,80 or 100%)

450hp will need a set of 180-230cc injectors with larger nozzles (80-100-200%)

500hp will need a set of 230-250cc injectors and so on and so forth...

Above 400hp and you start needing to add turbo's, fuel systems, studs, valve springs and such... Not all at that level, but as you go up you need to look at these things.

My wifes Excursion is set up for 350-375hp...

38R turbo
Intake
Exhaust
AC injectors (160cc with stock nozzles)
Its dynoed 367hp...

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Pis 160/30, brute66, and an frx would be what I would do because you probably have pmr's. That's a solid 400 horse combo that would tow well at 360 horse. Then I would save for a decent tranny when that one gives up the ghost.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts

Dave

This is awesome feedback. That is a a lot of seat time. LOL

I'm glad to see the results you are having.

Diane

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Actually that is kind of what I am trying to figure out coming from years of building gas motors where 400hp is relatively easy, but 600 hp is big $$ more and 800 hp is huge $$$s!

On a gas motor, I start with displacement (stroke & bore diam.) and head flow capability and work from there to build a system.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what combo of parts are needed to work together on these 7.3Ls. Everyone says that a chip makes a huge difference and can help a stock truck and is necessary for a heavily modified truck.

But what about injectors? Does a certain increase of size injector (along with a new "tune") provide noticeable results without a bunch of other required mods? I figure there is some "trigger point" on injector flow that mandates multiple

Is a SRP1.1 a waste of money on a basically stock motor?
Do you need to add new injectors, new HPOP, new manifolds etc to see a noticeable difference over the basic cold air/Garrett/4" exhaust setup?

Is this making sense? And yes I have been reading the "Newbie" thread, but it seems to be almost too much info, much like handing someone a set of encyclopedias (I don't think that my boys know what an encyclopedia is!) and telling them, "there's your answer"

I am looking to build torque, and it certainly may be that I am at the max point, dollar wise for this particular truck or it may be that I want to add injectors, an HPOP and a new set of tunes. I am most certainly not looking to build a monster engine that will tear up the dragstrip ($$$$$)
Anytime you upgrade your truck for extra hp/torque you will want to take care of the tranny. Doing a tranny build will help you apply that power to the ground and it will last longer.

160/30's and a 38R is what we see as the best for a little bump up in power, very street friendly.For a little more hp 175/80 are very nice. If your hpop is weak a medium HPOP of any kind will help even if you stay stock. Check it first, you may already have a strong stock pump. New injectors to our trucks is like prime choice is to beef, but remans are what most every one gets due to cost. They are tuned the same and get you the same results in power. One is just all new and one is reconditioned used injectors.

Anytime you are dealing with modifying a 12-15 year old truck it's not a bad idea to replace worn parts like the injectors and hpop.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

~Diane

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anytime you upgrade your truck for extra hp/torque you will want to take care of the tranny. Doing a tranny build will help you apply that power to the ground and it will last longer.

160/30's and a 38R is what we see as the best for a little bump up in power, very street friendly.For a little more hp 175/80 are very nice. If your hpop is weak a medium HPOP of any kind will help even if you stay stock. Check it first, you may already have a strong stock pump. New injectors to our trucks is like prime choice is to beef, but remans are what most every one gets due to cost. They are tuned the same and get you the same results in power. One is just all new and one is reconditioned used injectors.

Anytime you are dealing with modifying a 12-15 year old truck it's not a bad idea to replace worn parts like the injectors and hpop.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

~Diane
Diane,

Thank you very much for the reply.
Those are the kind of mods suggestions that I was looking for. I am thinking that I will probably get a set of bigger injectors, since I already have an aftermarket turbo.

I don't want to get too crazy into this truck as it will probably be one of my teenage boys here next year or so.

I just received my Kiwi 2 BT and have yet to install it and the Torque software. I hope to get it installed soon, just need time.

The HPOP is one of the first items that I will be checking, along with Alternator output.

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...160/30's and a 38R is what we see as the best for a little bump up in power, very street friendly.For a little more hp 175/80 are very nice...
Also, what does the injector terminology mean such as 160/30s and 175/80s?

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I should clarify my question as I understand that the 175 refers to cc and the second number is percent of something.

But it is 175cc of what?
and what is the difference between a 175/30 and a 175/80? (please don't say 50%)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Also, what does the injector terminology mean such as 160/30s and 175/80s?
Both are modified AC's

Using the first 160/30 as an example:

160= cc's of fuel
30= percent over stock size nozzle flow rate.

I typed that without realizing someone new to modifying may not know what that stands for. Sorry about that.

It will normally be written out 160cc/ 30%.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
I guess when Diane says somethin it means more. 160/30 means it flows 160cc of fuel (per 1000 injections) with a nozzle that flow 30% more fuel per time

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I am not seeing what I posted already posted. Maybe I am not seeing all posts? :shrug:

If it was my apologies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.