Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 95 f350 cc dually 2x and they had lost the keys. is it possible to remove the ignition lock cylinder? and how would i go about it? lock guy wants $100 to replace it plus parts. would like some info before i tear into it. thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had to do that go my 97 when I lost my keys in a blizzard. You will need go remove the steering column cover. There is a little ball that would need to be pressed if you have the key to take the cylinder out. Drill that little ball out and the release and the cylinder will come out. Go real easy on drilling so you don't go to far. Not sure on the size of the drill bit I used its been a couple years. Then replace with new cylinder start it up. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perfect. i know exactly what part you are talking about. i replaced the ign lock cyl on my f150 years ago. just couldnt remember exactly what needed to be done. thanks

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
If you drill that out there will be nothing to retain the new cylinder when you replace it. The correct way is to drill into the old cylinder to remove the wafers that keep the cylinder from turning. Once that is drilled sufficiently you depress the retaining ball and turn the cylinder like normal to remove it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You guys are both half right.
You need to drill the retaining pin out of the bottom of the cylinder. Then you need to drill through the key slot, drilling the wafers. This will allow you align the stub on the end of the cylinder to disengage it from the column. The cylinder needs to be in the run position to be removed. Both must be drilled out. Drill sizes aren't critical, just don't use one too big for the retaining pin, or you will enlarge the hole in the column. Then the new cylinder will be sloppy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are both half right.
You need to drill the retaining pin out of the bottom of the cylinder. Then you need to drill through the key slot, drilling the wafers. This will allow you align the stub on the end of the cylinder to disengage it from the column. The cylinder needs to be in the run position to be removed. Both must be drilled out. Drill sizes aren't critical, just don't use one too big for the retaining pin, or you will enlarge the hole in the column. Then the new cylinder will be sloppy.
well i found out the hard way they both need to be drilled just like you described above. i couldnt get it out by just drilling the little pin because it started walking on me and so i stopped drilling it.so i broke off the wing part of the ign lock cyl so i would have a flat surface then i drilled 2 small holes next to the key hole then ran a 1/2" bit down in her. worked like a charm . thanks for everyones input.:bowfast:

·
rock blower upper
242 Posts
when i lost the keys on mine, i just used a screwdriver and jammed it in the key slot and turned with pliers, went right forward, then I depressed the ball to remove it

·
Registered
926 Posts
ive always drilled out the actual key hole and then once its thin enough it will crack or you can crack it and it will come out in pieces. cheaper to drill it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.