Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a spare motor for a while and have found a possible donor truck or might just fix and keep but since I am not as familiar with OBS and the prices figured I would see what everyone here thought

Truck is a 95 5sp 4x4 with 300k on it but currently doesn't run it just quit on him while driving. When I talked to him about it they said that the CPS, Fuel Pump/filter and IDM have all been changed but still wont start. He claims that Ford looked at it and said it needs a HPOP since it only builds 50psi when cranking. I asked about ether usage and he said he tried it and even with that wont start, this has me worried not only that he used ether but would think it would still try to run on ether with a bad HPOP. I asked if compression check was done and he said yes and is working to get the numbers from it.

The body is in expected condition for the year with rust on fenders/bed and some on cab corners. Given all of this what do you think a fair price to pay for it would be, I was thinking that I would be fine at 1,500 and if nothing else could probably part it out for that much if it turns out to be major problems. I do have AE and am assuming since it has went to Ford that the PCM has been updated to where I could scan it to verify his claim or would that not be the case?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Bring your laptop with, and see if AE will at least talk to it KOEO.

Seems like there have been 439817596436 threads very recently on no-starts with only 50psi injection pressure. Can't believe they're all bad HPOPs. Wouldn't a stuck-open IPR do the same thing?

$1500 would be a steal if it's something minor, even for a rusty Jones. If it's more major, you're not out much.

F250 or F350?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its F250.

Its kind of a gamble since the ad said he has a newer one and cant keep two but you look and the other is for sale as well. He also just told me today that he gave the seat away. I was thinking of just offering 1k to see if he will take it and if not walk since its hard telling what all has been done or taken and since it isnt running cant verify the trans/clutch.

I would think IPR could do it but since he took it to Ford you would think they would have found that out quickly or they might have been just looking to sell an HPOP and then come back with needing a IPR as well. I guess if you were buying form Ford and paying them that estimate would make you think twice about putting more in it.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I was thinking of just offering 1k to see if he will take it and if not walk since its hard telling what all has been done or taken and since it isnt running cant verify the trans/clutch.
Sounds like a plan. No point in trying to get it running on the spot; without a seat, you're pretty-much resigned to towing it out.

or they might have been just looking to sell an HPOP
Def. a possibility.

Would've been worth $1500 on the spot if it were an F-350, since the front axle usu. fetches $800-ish as an upgrade.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
It definitely could be the ipr. Theyre a lot more common to fail tham an hpop, but at that mileage, it honestly could be either or.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said them motor/trans only have 80k on them so who knows whats really going on.

What digit on the VIN would designate a 7.3 figured I better check to make sure thats actually the way it came equipped otherwise it might just be someones failed project that keeps getting passed around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts