1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I could be wrong, but it sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

They want to make a gasket, exactly the same as our current gaskets, and then clamp another ring on top of the current ring?, and offer it at .100 thick, to avoid head gasket failures at high boost? Good luck with that.

How about a real fire ring. not an o-ring, not a c-ring. A "piano wire" fire ring.

This would be the easiest method. You have a gasket, and a fire ring. You put the gasket on, and set the fire ring in. It is not required to do any machining for grooves.

Not worth buying otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I just read that entire post. Phew!

Ok, so it sounds like I was mostly correct at first glance.

Our current gaskets are a steel shim coated in graphite with a "clamped" fire ring.

They want to stack two shims, and do a fire ring clamped to a clamped fire ring.

It sounds to me like this guy is mainly trying to avoid high cost pistons to lower compression.

It also sounds to me like his compression in relation to gasket thickness scale is off a tad.

My opinion? Do it right. Shave your pistons, don't try to run a gasket with a compressed thickness of .098".

This sounds more like corner cutting than really trying to advance our gasket technology.

As I previously said, a real fire ring is what I would be interested in. Nothing else.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I read what you thought about it I tend to agree. I would still be really worried about the different gaskets blowing out between the two layers too. Also do you think that shim will even hold up to the heat cycles? I really think it wouldn't hold up to the heat cycles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts