Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating on converting my '97 F-350 into a dually... Here is the truck that I am wanting to do it to:

I love the way it looks now, but I really miss my '97 Dodge Dually... I would run a 16x10 regular wheel in the front and 16x7 dually wheels in the rear to be a little different with 285/75/16 tires. One of the main reasons that I am debating on the conversion is that I will have a Eaton Fuller FS5205A transmission in this rig behind my p-pumped 24V, so this truck will be used for pulling everything on the farm from cattle, grain, tractors, etc. This will be our my dedicated tow truck, so I know I would really like the extra stability of the dual wheels. Let me know what you guys think... BTW, has anybody done the conversion without swapping to a dually rear end? I think that I could run a small spacer on the inside of the hub between the wheel so that the tires will clear the springs. Just trying to save some money on the conversion if I decide to do so, the engine conversion is already eating up a lot of my money! LOL

-French

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Where the hell are you going to fit that trans? You are gonna need a big body lift.

As for making s SRW axle into a DRW axle you need 3" spacers to get the correct axle width to run dually wheels(NOT CHEAP)
here ya go WheelAdapter.com Wheel Adapters

And then you would still need a 2" spacer between the dually wheels to run 285s. I dont think it is to good of an idea to run adapters AND spacers on the same axle. that is just looking for trouble
link to the spacers you would need WheelAdapter.com Wheel Spacers

If you are going to do it, do it right with dually rear axle and ford dually front hubs

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Where the hell are you going to fit that trans? You are gonna need a big body lift.

As for making s SRW axle into a DRW axle you need 3" spacers to get the correct axle width to run dually wheels(NOT CHEAP)

And then you would still need a 2" spacer between the dually wheels to run 285s. I dont think it is to good of an idea to run adapters AND spacers on the same axle. that is just looking for trouble

If you are going to do it, do it right with dually rear axle and ford dually front hubs
:whs: Tractors and hay are heavy. You don't want something going wrong because you "could save a couple bucks"

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The transmission will fit without a body lift... It's only a 5sp. and came out of a F-700 with a 12 valve. As far as doing the dually conversion, I'm still undecided... I really want to, but the more I look at it, I like the way it looks. But the added stability of running duals would help when towing.

:whs: Tractors and hay are heavy. You don't want something going wrong because you "could save a couple bucks"
I havent measured yet, but from looking, I didn't think it would be a 3" spacer. I found a guy wanting to go from DRW to SRW, so I may trade him.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I havent measured yet, but from looking, I didn't think it would be a 3" spacer. I found a guy wanting to go from DRW to SRW, so I may trade him.
Just as long as he has a Dually PICKUP, NOT a cab-n-chassis. And yes, the dually pickup axle is 6" wider than a SWR axle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts