Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took measurements to a local weld shop and had them make a cable with 0 gauge weld cable. Super flexible, and has lasted 8 years without issue so far. Cost me about $100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I custom made all new battery cables for my 2002 Ford F-250 7.3
I completed the Big 3 Upgrade. I have included a link to a YouTube Video related to this upgrade.
I bought all the parts on Amazon.
I also bought a hydraulic press for crimping the terminal connectors on the cable. The press was $70 dollars. It is well worth the money.
If you would like a parts list and pictures of the finished job, let me know.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Need to replace the positive cable on my 7.3, but can't find ANYBODY who has one in. Anybody got a "secret supplier" I can buy from?
I got a Motorcraft cable from Rock Auto about a year ago. Gonna change it when the batteries die, which will probably be soon.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Cut the terminal off and solder eyelets to it then use a military style terminal. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cut the terminal off and solder eyelets to it then use a military style terminal. Easy peasy.
Whoa! That sounds awesome. It's only the one connector (Passenger side pos) that's a problem. I don't think my basic soldering iron would do the trick. Would a "medium duty" soldering gun be enough, or is it more of a specialty tool. If it does require something special, where could I take it to get that done. That definitely seems like the least expensive option.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Yep a blow torch for doing plumbing. It takes a ton of solder also. Just a public service announcement. Batteries are flammable and will explode. So if you use the torch in the engine compartment pull the batteries.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ahh. That makes a lot more sense. I couldn’t figure out how an iron would transfer heat through enough of the cable to work. Standard rosin core solder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
I believe 1/0 to the starter and 2 gauge to the other batt.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts