Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experimented with this on 6.0 heads? Net any power?

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Naturally it will net a power increase...provided it's don't by a competent porter. Just grinding out material can actually hurt performance. Head porting is a science and not cheap to do correctly. The bad part to doing 6.0 heads is it's a gamble on whether you'll crack them and waste a large amount of money.
I'd put that cash into a good intake like Dougs first if it was me. You net some good gains without the risk of failure later.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
The bad part to doing 6.0 heads is it's a gamble on whether you'll crack them and waste a large amount of money.
isn't it pretty safe to assume that any 6.0's heads are cracked already :poke:

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Naturally it will net a power increase...provided it's don't by a competent porter. Just grinding out material can actually hurt performance. Head porting is a science and not cheap to do correctly. The bad part to doing 6.0 heads is it's a gamble on whether you'll crack them and waste a large amount of money.
I'd put that cash into a good intake like Dougs first if it was me. You net some good gains without the risk of failure later.
What kind of gains are we talking on the intake?

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Does anyone still use mult-angle valve jobs? Serdi is where it's at! I know all my heads on my race bikes got this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
...... - PowerStrokeNation

Thanks guys took alot of parts of that didnt work well last year, injectors were all screwed up one head was warped and blew a gasket a few passes in, took the h-11s out and put arps back in

new mods this year
hybrid injectors
mpd stainless manifolds
bullseye billet s475 with stainless 1.0 housing
mpd intake manifolds
2000hp air to water cooler
roll cage and suspension work

motor work:
.20 ovr coated 16/1 pistons
hypermax rods
coating bearings
balanced
ede ported heads with bigger valves <--------
billet push-rods
ede stage 1 cam <-----------------
suncoast billet flexplate

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've got Elites ported heads in my race motor along with a whole bunch of their other parts and I had them flow tested at a local shop and seen good cfm gains over stock heads.

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts
I've got Elites ported heads in my race motor along with a whole bunch of their other parts and I had them flow tested at a local shop and seen good cfm gains over stock heads.
Can you share any numbers? Did you go with +1mm valves too?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen stock flow numbers, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 200 CFM @ 28" range?

That brings me to another question. I've always been curious why heads on a boosted motor (gas or diesel) aren't tested using intended boost pressures. It seems to me you that would be a more dynamic method of discovering any sort of anomalies that may occur in the port under boost that wouldn't neccessarily happen under vacumm. In my mind things like port reversion, air tumble/swirl, etc. would change going from vacumm to boost.

I understand that the 28" method is to keep flow results apples to apples. But if one were looking to squeeze everything they can out of their heads, why not test under your intended operating conditions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
stock usually 160-170 cfm
ported 220 @28"

We are working on a head right now that flows 290cfm but it isn't streetable. Short duration only (epoxy).

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
when i pulled my cab back in 2006 i thought of getting the heads ported, but opted not to. So all i did myself was take a die grinder with a sand stone bit and smoothened out the rough cast in all the ports of the head and then reached as far as i could into the exhaust manifolds. After that i then used a sandpaper bit which smoothed out even more and really shined everything up. i figured it couldn't hurt smoothing things out some.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Dp had a good write u on it a while back.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
How far did Shawn push stock heads ????? Thats all I really have to say unless you plan on see high numbers why spend the extra money.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
im running stock heads and intake manifold. shawn pushed the stockers really far. i believe he went 10.56 with the stockers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How far did Shawn push stock heads ????? Thats all I really have to say unless you plan on see high numbers why spend the extra money.
It's all based on if you plan to run nitrous or not. Nitrous will make up for the inefficiencies in the heads and intake. If you want power on #2 only or have to compete in a fuel only class then that is where a GOGO intake or our heads would be noticed. Nitrous is much cheaper and easier than doing all the motor work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts