Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im proud to sa yi have a set of ported fuel rails on the way, can anyone give me some insight into installing them, some tips or pointers

also im looking onto getting a rcd camshaft for my truck, im wondering what gains people are noticing with these, i havent heard much about cams in these trucks

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
How about a build list of your truck as in what you have already installed

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
Cam requires a lot of work. If you follow fords procedure you need to remove the crank but it can be done without doing that. Honestly I don't think a cam is worth it till you do a bunch of other mods

Fuel rails require opening the valve covers. Also replace all the fuel lines from the hpfp to the rail and from the rail to the injector.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I think ported rails is a mod that is on my to do list as well. I'm taking it the line to the hpfp and injectors are a one time crimp/crush kinda deal?

·
Registered
323 Posts
yea

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the kem 345, 4in flo pro, i have a 4in dp, intercooler pipe, cfm intake and egr cooler delete, and ported fuel rails on the way, hopefully getting the innovative xtreme race tune to try soon, i am just looking to take it a step further without paying thousands for turbos or nozzles and hpfp upgrades, i am also working on getting a full tranny rebuild from mpd

wheres the best place to get the fuel line?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
i have the kem 345, 4in flo pro, i have a 4in dp, intercooler pipe, cfm intake and egr cooler delete, and ported fuel rails on the way, hopefully getting the innovative xtreme race tune to try soon, i am just looking to take it a step further without paying thousands for turbos or nozzles and hpfp upgrades, i am also working on getting a full tranny rebuild from mpd

most likely an oem dealer would be the best for that kind of part.

To the guys have done the rails how bad are they to do? Looks like a PITA tearing all the stuff off to access the valve covers.

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
They are a job to get to. No gain if your not dropping rail pressure with stock nozzles.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. WOT my truck ranges from about 22k to 26k rail pressure from what I've seen/logged on the dashdaq but if it would let the truck fuel a little better I think it would be worth the $150 or so and the time. With jeff's truck running 12.3's with basic mods it's hard to argue with that lol, but his truck is a freak.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Who knows....maybe it's the CFM+ that makes my truck so fast! LOL

I really don't have an explanation for it. I made multiple passes that day. I ran a [email protected] with a decent 60 foot and the very next pass I ran a [email protected] with a 1.66 60 foot. I was as shocked as everyone else. I took it and ran with it as anyone else would have in my position. Others took it and assumed I sprayed or lied about my setup. All I can say at this point since no one else with my exact setup has ran at that track with the same conditions is.....I guess FoMoCo hooked me up!

·
Registered
215 Posts

Sounds like you need to spend money on a fuel system before you install the rails.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Who knows....maybe it's the CFM+ that makes my truck so fast! LOL

I really don't have an explanation for it. I made multiple passes that day. I ran a [email protected] with a decent 60 foot and the very next pass I ran a [email protected] with a 1.66 60 foot. I was as shocked as everyone else. I took it and ran with it as anyone else would have in my position. Others took it and assumed I sprayed or lied about my setup. All I can say at this point since no one else with my exact setup has ran at that track with the same conditions is.....I guess FoMoCo hooked me up!
Jeff what file were you running?

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Sounds like you need to spend money on a fuel system before you install the rails.
All I have is an Air Dog. It pumps from the tank to the factory fuel bowl, just like the factory system does. No need for a "fuel system" with the rails.

In my opinion, if someone does the Elite low pressure fuel system or an Air Dog with the fuel bowl delete, you could run 60 HP injector nozzles with no HPFP upgrade. I think the fuel rails and getting rid of the factory fuel bowl are the keys to making this work. I think it would work though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
All I have is an Air Dog. It pumps from the tank to the factory fuel bowl, just like the factory system does. No need for a "fuel system" with the rails.

In my opinion, if someone does the Elite low pressure fuel system or an Air Dog with the fuel bowl delete, you could run 60 HP injector nozzles with no HPFP upgrade. I think the fuel rails and getting rid of the factory fuel bowl are the keys to making this work. I think it would work though.
Damn sounds awesome I the the airdog 165 will be my first fueling mod.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts