Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good way to polish the windshield trim on an OSB? I bought new trim when the truck was re-done, cuz it was all hazy lookin' and I couldn't get it to polish out. Well after spending good $ on new trim, it looked just as bad in about 2-3 months. Is there some kind of coating on it that needs to come off, or is there nothing I can do about it?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Can a 1 ton do a wheelie?
261 Posts
I am going to paint mine black along with all the other chrome parts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Brent, I've got a couple different methods in mind, MetalWax one of them, And also going to try some normal kine aluminum polish if that doesn't work.

just been busy..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brent, I've got a couple different methods in mind, MetalWax one of them, And also going to try some normal kine aluminum polish if that doesn't work.

just been busy..
I tried some good aluminum polish, and it didn't touch it. :mad:

·
Registered
344 Posts
try some SOS pads in a inconspicuous spot or very fine steel wool.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Not sure if they changed the trim with the OBS trucks, but when I had my 83 and fixed it up I polished all the trim with the Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. Took a lot of work to get the original 20+ year old trim to shine but was nice when it was done.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i used neverdull, its in a silver can with an eagle, assuming its by eagle one. amazing stuff. takes burnt coal off stacks like it was its JOB!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Try a stainless steel polish.. I'm pretty sure the trim is SS not alum. Alum would be to soft to have around the window and bend/mark up way to easy. SS is a real pain in the butt to polish correctly. you need something with a little speed to get it to look nice.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try a stainless steel polish.. I'm pretty sure the trim is SS not alum. Alum would be to soft to have around the window and bend/mark up way to easy. SS is a real pain in the butt to polish correctly. you need something with a little speed to get it to look nice.
I thought too it was SS. I tried to polish it as such and found out that it is actually anodized aluminum. Looks like the best way to polish and amke it shiny, will be to sand off the anodizing, polish the aluminum, and then clear coat it w/a clear specifically made for aluminum.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is there any way to remove it? I have the same problem on mine. I would love to use Tal-strip on it like I did my rims to remove the finish, but if I do it on the truck, anywhere the stuff lands, the paint will be gone. Once the finish is off you can alumi-brite it and then polish. It worked wonders on my rims.

·
Caught a big one!
666 Posts
Take it off the truck a use a buffing wheel is probably the best way, but good luck not dicking it up in the process.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take it off the truck a use a buffing wheel is probably the best way, but good luck not dicking it up in the process.
DON'T DO IT! I tried to buff mine out and it didn't work. Found out that they are aluminized, and once you get it off it looks like chit. We even tried to sand it and then polish it, and then clear coat it w/aluminum clear, and it looked even worse than it did before.

SO...I ended up buying new trim and clear coating it, and it turned out very nice. We also experimented on a piece of the faded trim by just clearing it w/out sanding or polishing. It turned out about as good as the new trim.

So in conclustion, I would recommend crearing the old trim w/a good aluminum clear coat.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
The trim is anodized aluminum. You can NOT polish anodized aluminum.
In order to polish it, you need to take the anodizing OFF.
The best thing to take it off is Sodium Hydroxide(main ingredient in drain cleaner) Powdered stuff works best.

I just did this to a 79 grill and every piece of trim. I made a trough out of 4" PVC. Capped both ends then cut it length wise making 2 troughs.
Fill with hot water then add drain cleaner. Then put in part for about 2-3 min. WEAR DISH GLOVES. You will see instant bubbling and black SMUT coming to the surface. The smut is the anodized finish and the oxidation. After the 2-3 min pull the part and rinse it off. If there is any anodizing left, redip the part. I usually have a 400 grit piece of wet/dry paper handy to "scrub" the stubborn spot while it is soaking. The remove and rerinse.
In this pic you can see all the stripped and polished pieces. the piece in the back is still anodized

Upclose of the grill polished

the one bad thing about stripping the anodizing is now the aluminum will oxodize MUSH faster. But at least now you can polish it

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Polish it then clear it w/an aluminum clear coat.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I just dont trust anything to stick to polished metal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts