Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Symmons Temptrol shower piece that I want to replace. The drain lever has not worked properly in years. I went to remove the cover and one of the screws broke with very little effort. The other one will surely break. So, once they do, what will I be up against. Will I be able to remove the screw stems or will I have to cut them flush and re-drill something? Any advice? I want to replace the drain lever cover and the spout.

How does the spout detach? Does it unscrew? If it does, would I be better to cut it off. I don't want to break pipes behind the wall, while trying to torque the hell out of this. Thanks.

Sorry for the soap scum in the pics. The rest of the shower is honestly clean.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,611 Posts
break the other screw, and remove the trim plate.
then go in the room on the other side of the wall and cut an access hole it get to the fixtures so you can replace them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Look under tub spout, is there a small set screw in an opening on bottom? If so remove set screw. If not - unscrew spout, you might need to put something up in the opening to get it to spin. like screw driver handle.

Cover screws should be brass - thats why it broke so easily. Once cover is removed you will have to remove broken screws.Drill and easy out. They are brass and so is the piece they screw into.(might be plastic) It is called "Waste and Overflow" Tub Parts. The "Waste and Overflow" Could possible be changed out from below bath tub or from behind tub if access if available.(then you wouldn't need to drill out) If you were to replace I would suggest a non linkage type of tub stopper. Hair and soap clog linkage type causing maintenance. Push/pull type stoppers or "toe touch" are problem free and easily installed with no adjustment necessary.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to replace the waste and overflow part. My reason is that I live in a condo, so I do not have access to under the tub, as there is another person who lives below me. I also don't want to cut the wall behind the tub because the that wall has my hot water heater against it. I would have to undo all that plumbing. I attached the electric hot water heater with shark bites, so it would not be terrible, but the pressure relief plumbing is soldered together.
I need to replace the corroded cover because it no longer hold the drain lever properly. The lever just bounces back up and stops the drain. The hole around the lever had enlarged because of the corrosion and is super sloppy and won't hold the lever.

Can I do all this stuff from inside the tub? Could I just get a new cover, drill out the brass screws and be back in business?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts