Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I have never had a truck that was so finiky about being plugged in... My 99 7.3 78K 6spd did not want to start the other day and we just touch frosty... Plugged it in and it started 30 mins later no issue, next day same scenario and we are just barely mid 30's. Have you guys had this issue, is there anything I can do to make it a bit easier, I go to a lot of Horseshows where I will need my truck early in the am and will not have a way to plug in.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this going to drasticaly improve it or allow me to start it tomorrow... Im just curious if this is a Glow Plug worn out issue or if it is a design that they are finiky.

Thank you

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
They start very well if the gp system is working properly. My buddy never plugged his in and it started all the time in -30 weather.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Is this going to drasticaly improve it or allow me to start it tomorrow... Im just curious if this is a Glow Plug worn out issue or if it is a design that they are finiky.

Thank you
Ive started mine in single digit temps and below 0 a couple of times with out plugging it in, your glowplugs and relay may be original.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
and dont go by "oh the relay is clicking, its working"... cause chances are its not..

check out GP system first. if thats fine we might have a injector issue

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

Thank you
It's a 12 year old heating elements that are done... Same with a 12 year old relay that probly isn't doing it's job either.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have let mine sit for days in temps below 20* not plugged in. Just cycle the gp's a couple of times and it's good to go. Remember the plugs stay on for a while after the light goes off.

·
TennesseeHillbilly
1,318 Posts
Replaced the glow plugs in mine 2 winters ago. It would not start below 30º without pluggin in for an hour or so.
7 of 8 GPs were bad....now at 0º it will start just fine.
At 78K your GPs shouldn't be bad.....check the relay.......common problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
found that my s.i.l. truck only had like 2 of them that was NOT shorted... thing was hell to start on a cold morning... Replaced all of them except for 1.... it was stuck and acted like it wanted to twist off, so I left it in and unplugged the wire.. Starts great on 7.... Added a Swamps performance IDM shortly after that and it seemed to help also..

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
Replaced the glow plugs in mine 2 winters ago. It would not start below 30º without pluggin in for an hour or so.
7 of 8 GPs were bad....now at 0º it will start just fine.
At 78K your GPs shouldn't be bad.....check the relay.......common problem.
Although the miles aren't high it still has the age factor.

But I also had the same problem in my old obs relay actually tested well but it wasn't hardly working. Replaced it then no more problems on cold start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts