Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ford Man
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade my stereo to a more modern unit with Bluetooth, GPS, back-up camera, DVD, MP3, etc. but do not want to cut my dash. I found what appears to be a plug & play unit that fits the bill in the link below. Is anyone familiar with this piece? I'm sure it's a Chinese sourced product and that's fine but I hate to be the guinea pig on a completely unknown item. If not, does anyone know of a product like I'm describing? If so, a link or description would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I wouldn’t hold my breath... in my experience for GPS antennae’s to work they need to be ran to somewhere that the satellites can get a signal through, not buried in the dash assembly. But on the other hand, if the price is right, I would try it too... and yes, probably Chinese seconds. I would be interested to see if it needs a SIM card for the phone function to work as well as inquiring about how old the micro sd card with the Nav map files is also... good luck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,023 Posts
Don't know if this is what u would want but found this the other day worth a look.

https://youtu.be/HduLCDhI-wI

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 will be blamed for.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
SoundStream is a heard-of brand... Not of Alpine, Denon, Harmon Kardon, etc quality but they work.

·
Native Texan
9,023 Posts
I just thought it was neat. I prefer alpine for myself.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for.

·
9,453 Posts
Single DIN Alpine with BlueTooth, they can even keep the CD player feature because who listens to CD's anymore. Same with Sirius, that just BlueTooth's over as well.

Just gimme lots of RCA outs to feed amps.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I was always a pioneer man. I always felt like I got the best sound quality from them because they had the most preinstalled audio settings to adjust. I had an xplod, alpine and a few kenwoods, but I always went back to pioneer...

·
Native Texan
9,023 Posts
Single DIN Alpine with BlueTooth, they can even keep the CD player feature because who listens to CD's anymore. Same with Sirius, that just BlueTooth's over as well.

I was always a pioneer man. I always felt like I got the best sound quality from them because they had the most preinstalled audio settings to adjust. I had an xplod, alpine and a few kenwoods, but I always went back to pioneer...

Alpine has always treated me well this is what I have right now feeding two Memphis amps.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for.

·
Ford Man
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all of the replies, y'all. I really want a plug & play unit if possible. I've put in stereos all of my life so the install is no problem; I just don't want to cut my dash. That Soundstream unit looks pretty cool. I wonder if it fits the factory hole using the same mounting system?
@Mr_Andy. Right on! Sultans of Swing

·
Ford Man
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's a pretty clean install, sir, with the storage tray and all. Did you have to modify the hole or did it mount to the stock attachment points?

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
Just buy a install kit for a single din. That's what I have in my 01. It was cheap and I didn't have to cut anything. I ask got the adaptor for the factory harness.

·
9,453 Posts
That's a pretty clean install, sir, with the storage tray and all. Did you have to modify the hole or did it mount to the stock attachment points?
Not one hair out of place. That's a Schoche (spelling?) single DIN adapter - oh and SonicElectronix.com gives you this and a harness adapter free with your purchase. 4 7mm screws hold the radio in place behind the outer bezel, those same 4 screws hold this adapter in place then the single DIN upper unit has options - do you want to let that POS sleeve that slides over the head unit and has those useless locking tabs keeping everything in or there's also provisions to run good 'ol fashioned screws (4 more) into the sides of the HU.

One minor caveat but more my smash and bang ethic to blame, the rear area of that lower change tray or whatever it's called *will* crack if you jam one too many spare magazines in it. Oops.

·
9,453 Posts
Oopsy. Your truck is an '08. Is the stereo hole the same as my '01?
The rough opening and the actual face dimensions are all standard, however the cosmetic curves and lines of the dash bezel itself are a little different. If I remember I'll snap a pic of the exact same setup - HU and mounting bracket in my '00. It looks just as smooth but the reveal is a tad different.

·
9,453 Posts
Oopsy. Your truck is an '08. Is the stereo hole the same as my '01?
@Wood's Powerstroke

I'm in my 'parts room' (half a dozen actual automobile parts and one half-keg beermeister) in the garage arming up for today's mission and lookie what I stumbled across.

It says 2004-up but I've used this same kit (it's why I have extras) on all 99-up Super Duty trucks. You can see in the pic there's three different duplicates of parts, two different style head unit ears and two different faceplate frames. Here, zoomed specifically on those frames, you can see what I meant by 'curves and contours' of the different years.

The top one is for the more square dash panels of the 08-up and the lower one has a radius to it for the older trucks.

And I was wrong about the brand being Scoche (sp?).... They're Metra.

Anyway I have two more of these on the shelf, all identical and any time I buy head units from Sonic Electronix I just tell them to send me the kit for a Super Duty regardless of what they're going in since usually the uppity snob yuppie dyer types I find myself suckered into being a lackey for demands some higher end wood grain or other such nonsense. Might as well be diamond encrusted, they'd really go ape over that. Since they don't eat nothin' just sitting on the shelf you can have one if you cover shipping and are still interested in the single DIN design.

·
Native Texan
9,023 Posts
Alpine INE-W977HD 7-Inch Audio/Video/Navigation System and Sirius XM tuner bundle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0731WVS4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QAoGAb1FVTF8G

Man I think I am in love. might need to start a gofundme for this one thou.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for @heavydoc to see my pics.

·
Native Texan
9,023 Posts
Stupid Amazon app links never want to work.

Amazon.com: Alpine INE-W977HD 7-Inch Audio/Video/Navigation System and Sirius XM tuner bundle: Cell Phones & Accessories

Still in love thou.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for @heavydoc to see my pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts