Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking to put a plow on my srw 350, My drw is in need of some major work frame and body ( got sideswiped pretty hard the other by a county truck) i have everything but the frame to rebuild it. My srw was wrecked last winter and the frame up front was bent alittle, had it straightened but I'm worried that a plow may bend it again, any thoughts guys? Have had people say yes and no but they have never put a plow on a previously wrecked truck. Thanks

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
It depends where and how bad the frame was bent and how the plow frame mounts. A LOT of variables

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking to put a plow on my srw 350, My drw is in need of some major work frame and body ( got sideswiped pretty hard the other by a county truck) i have everything but the frame to rebuild it. My srw was wrecked last winter and the frame up front was bent alittle, had it straightened but I'm worried that a plow may bend it again, any thoughts guys? Have had people say yes and no but they have never put a plow on a previously wrecked truck. Thanks
God, sounds you have had TERRIBLE luck with keeping trucks straight during the winters...

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
God, sounds you have had TERRIBLE luck with keeping trucks straight during the winters...
Haha seems that way, wasn't at fault for either, last year I came over a hill and the oncoming car was in my lane! Ended up going threw a ditch and hitting a tree at about 20mph..

Brad the passenger front frame rail was bent inwards about 2 inches bend was 8 inches in. I gotta look into a whole new unit, thought I could swap the plow off the other truck but some scmuck welded the plow mount to the frame :mad:

Prolly gonna be a western.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You ought to be able to plate the frame flanges where it bent to strengthen it.
I thought that too, but I'm thinking that May not be strong enough. Looking at a new mount tomorrow and will take measurements just to see if it will go past that spot enough for strength. The mount on my drw ends almost at the spot it got bent on my srw. That's why I'm questioning if the frame will hold up.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I hope it is not a Uni-mount. last I heard Western stopped making them. Just the Ultra mounts are available

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it is not a Uni-mount. last I heard Western stopped making them. Just the Ultra mounts are available
That's what's on my drw, good plow but can't find a mount for my truck. Looking at the ultra mount here shortly.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll the ultra mount only goes 4" behind the injury..... Mounts 5/16" steel. I'm thinking I need to beef my frame up alittle bit just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yup, no unimounts available from western, The are out there, just have to look. I've picked up used ones for as little as $100. $50 to Sandblast and paint and buy new bolts, and your set... There are alot of people who have them and think they are gold...

If you want new, you can get an ultramount to unimount adapter. I have one on my 96... I really like the fact that the ultramount doesn't hang down... Two pins and the adapter comes off, mount only hangs 3" down...

If the mount goes back far enough past where the bend was, then you would probably be fine, but I wouldn't hesitate to plate it up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That injury doesn't sound that bad to me. I would put the plow on and run it. I would have little worry about it being too weak. Plowing is hard on vehicles and will find weak spots, but truthfully if that spot is that questionable I'd have a hard time towing with the truck. And I have no worries. A 2" sway over 8" of frame doesn't seem a big deal to me.

With all the frame work that ties into the frame I would actually expect the plow mount to help stiffen everything up.

I'm amazed they welded everything up. I removed and then reinstalled my uni-mount on my 93 and it's not fun, but damn welding it on would be worse yet.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Yup, no unimounts available from western, The are out there, just have to look. I've picked up used ones for as little as $100. $50 to Sandblast and paint and buy new bolts, and your set... There are alot of people who have them and think they are gold...

If you want new, you can get an ultramount to unimount adapter. I have one on my 96... I really like the fact that the ultramount doesn't hang down... Two pins and the adapter comes off, mount only hangs 3" down...

If the mount goes back far enough past where the bend was, then you would probably be fine, but I wouldn't hesitate to plate it up.

Yeah. I bought a uni-mount for my 95, but I think I am going to sell it for that New Prodigy plow western came out with. Which reminds me, I should put that on CL

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the prodigy, pretty slick how it works. I saw 7 of them in line for the repair shop tho, I'd wait a year and see if they rework whatever is failing, thats my opinion tho. I've seen those adapters for ultra to unimount, but I decided I'd rather put a new plow on rather then buy all the parts to transfer the unimount over. Brand new pro plow plus will be installed Saturday. Found a guy who is going to reinforce my frame alittle bit.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm amazed they welded everything up. I removed and then reinstalled my uni-mount on my 93 and it's not fun, but damn welding it on would be worse yet.
It's not even little tack welds all along it, it's full welds on every seem and it's bolted! I think the PO had too much time on his hands or something, theres a lot of overkill fab work done too that truck.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
It's not even little tack welds all along it, it's full welds on every seem and it's bolted! I think the PO had too much time on his hands or something, theres a lot of overkill fab work done too that truck.
Maybe OBSWIZ owned the truck:poke::poke:

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL I wish I had one of his trucks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts