Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story. six days ago I changed my park brake pedal cause it broke. Which meant I had to pull the pcm. Un hooked the batts and pulled the pcm like I have before. Changed the park brake pedal and reinstalled the pcm. Truck fired up no prob. But I had no display on my switcher for my chip. So .I thought something might have moved when I pulled the pcm. pull the pcm and check and made sure everything looked good and re installed. Now my switcher works. Good to go. two days ago wife called and says truck wont start after a 20 min drive. I go out there and change the cps. Fires up no prob. Today she calls and says sitting at a light and truck died and wont start. Got it towed home. I go to ford and get a new cps and change it. Truck fires up no prob. She heads out to the store and same thing it wont start. I think it is my chip so I un plug the pcm and pull the chip. plug the pcm back in and it fires up. she goes out again to test it. and I makes it around the block and dies. wont start just cranks. unplug the pcm and plug it back in and it fires up. wtf?????????????? PLEASE help. It is our only vehicle. I don't have access to AE or a scanner at this time. I am leaning toward the pcm.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I would double check that clip is there and grounded.

all kinds of odd behavior can result...,since you did pull the pcm it could have fell out etc.
php had a good description on that.

if not google 7.3 pcm ground and do some quick reading.

also may look into ordering a bluetooth adapyer from newegg and use torque pro if you have an android phone or tablet.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Makes sense. I will look when I get home.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulled the pcm and saw the ground tab was not making good contact. So I cleaned it all up and also ran a ground wire from the pcm to a bolt on the body. Problem solved. Thank you for the help!!
:psn:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just gonna throw this out there, it might be your issue, might not.

When I first got my chip installed, I was having the same issue you are. For a while I thought I inherited a truck with electrical issues.

Well, long story short, the plastic box used to mount the PCM was putting uneven pressure on the chip, and combined with bumpy roads it would randomly move the chip just enough it would not run, and after removing/reinstalling the chip/and/or PCM, I eventually figured out it was the plastic case causing my headaches, and a couple tows.

This was my solution, and has worked great for a few years now:

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't think that is the prob. It was running great since last Friday when I fixed the ground and today it died and wont start. Just cranks. At the end of my rope and don't know what to do. Need this truck to run. Really loosing faith. I think it might be the pcm that is done.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How many miles are on it? Stock Injectors? Ever had the injector o rings changed or the injectors out? Just a thought. Could be injector o rings leaking oil. That could cause a no start when warm as the oil is thinner when hot and drains back quicker. Hopefully not the case but its a thought. Find a scanner and check your icp pressure.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
188,000km (not miles) stock injectors never been out new hpop a while ago. Going to try and get a scanner. fuses look good fuel pump comes on and filter bowl full hpop right up. all the dash light come on. Just shut down at a light today and now nothing.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just went down stairs to check on the batt charger on the truck cause they were getting run down from cranking and I tried it and it fired right up. I don't even want to drive this POS now. Who know what's going to happen

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are there any idm codes? Sometimes thats a sign of the idm going bad.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just went down stairs to check on the batt charger on the truck cause they were getting run down from cranking and I tried it and it fired right up. I don't even want to drive this POS now. Who know what's going to happen
Keep an eye on voltage, if they batteries are dead (or the alternator is dead/weak) and the voltage gets below 10.5v the injectors won't fire.

When my last set of batteries went one was weak the other had a bad cell, the truck would crank all day but not fire.

Is your wait to start (WTS) light coming on/off like normal?

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put a scanner on it and truck had a bad IPR. All fixed. Thank you everyone for all the help/sujestions!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
nice !! now it is not POS LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts