Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello PSN, thanks for having me! Im a newbie. Im not a forum kind of guy but after searching and reading other forums Ive decided to make PSN my home.

Please forgive me as I learn to use and navigate the site. Ill catch on soon.

I bought a used 2004 F-350, Lariat, FX4 in Dec. 2013 just about a month and half ago. It currently has 146,000 miles.

Im pretty sure the prev. owner had a programer on the truck. The truck ran great up until this past weekend. The only mod to the engine is an Airraid intake. All other mods came with the truck except the wheels and tires, I put them on.

I want to get this out there now. This is the first diesel Ive owned. I love this truck! I am diesel dumb. Im not an idiot, I just dont know diesel's but Im learning. I do know about some of the problems with the 6.0. I hope I never have to go back to a gasser. I love owning and driving a "Big Boy" truck!

Hang in there with me this could get long.

Problems = Very rough idle, so bad the whole truck shakes. Put it in drive and give it some fuel and the truck just crawls. After a min or two the RPM'S get high and after a hard shift the truck will pick up speed. It still runs like crap after its up to speed.

This all started this past Saturday night, it ran like crap! The next day I jumped in and took it to a friends shop to change the fuel filters. This was a 20 mile trip. On the trip to my friends place the truck seemed to run "ok" better than Saturday night. After changing the fuel filters and cleaning the EGR valve it ran like crap again!

Tonight I took it to the "Zone" to run any codes and it ran really bad getting there. It came back with 0 codes. When I started to drive it home it ran "ok" . About half way home it fell on its face again...What gives!?!?!

A little history = When I test drove the truck the battery light was on. The alternator and batteries tested bad. So before I agreed to purchase I made them put in two new batteries and an alternator (FCIM problem???)

I live in Indiana and it has been crazy cold the last few weeks. I use additive and I plug it in every night. I did have a small gel problem a couple of weeks ago when it was -15. I put some 911 in the truck and it ran fine after that.

So a little recap = Two new fuel filters, MC as recommended by so many. Cleaned the EGR valve which was dirty but nothing crazy. Two new batteries and an alternator.

Ive noticed that if I dont let the truck "warm up" very long it runs ok for a bit. If I let it sit out and idle say longer than 3 mins it runs like crap as soon as I start to drive it.

Sorry this is so long I just want to make sure I get all the details out there so the pro's can give me some info.

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I meant FICM, told ya I was diesel dumb! Ha!

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Sounds like your injectors have stiction, based on how you are describing it.
Do you mind me asking where in Indiana you are?
Also, FYI, MOST auto part store scanner will NOT read alot of these kids of codes. I would recommend finding someone who has either AutoEnginuity or Ford's IDS to read the codes with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in Avon.

The stiction is something I have not researched yet. Would you mind educating me?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Add some ar9100 to the oil it could work I use it 36 buck online kt performance they have a money back guarantee

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
I agree with Miller, your problem sounds like a classic "stiction issue". You could try some of those additives but that's just a band-aid if they work.
The best way to fix it is to replace the injectors with MOTORCRAFT injectors from the dealer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
sounds like a bad injector or possibly even a bad idm. either way take it to a real shop with a decent scanner and have them run a diag on the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts