Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

281 - 300 of 326 Posts

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,067 Posts
Mark: Key on, now Fuel pump runs > engine runs. But I don't know why. I'll check again tomorrow. I'm afraid I don't have much time tomorrow, I'll report...

"From what I can tell, the other 4 wires to the starter relay come from the proper spot on the CJB relay slot."
Yes.
Sounds good, I know it is late there!

So we know that the starter relay isn't getting ground without a "jumper", AND we know the source of the other 3 wires to that relay look like they originate from the proper location.

Sounds like the Fuel Pump Relay ALSO had to have an external ground for it to work. We do NOT know where the other wires (to the relocated Fuel Pump Relay) come from yet.

With the external ground removed from the starter relay, will the fuel pump come on with transmission connector C1385 removed? I would check both with the Fuel Pump Relay external ground connected and without it connected.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,067 Posts
I think we'll soon find the bugs. For me it would be logical if the missing ground pin4 is related to the trans
I think we posted at the same time, but no need to answer until tomorrow.

I agree that the transmission can be the common link, but for me a simple Range Sensor failure will not result in a crank (or the fuel pump operation) when the Range Sensor has failed OR when it is simply unplugged - at least not typically. I keep harping on it because it ALL needs to make sense. Perhaps shorting out a VPWR circuit could explain it - but I guess that might depend on how the relocated Fuel Pump Relay got wired up. We just need to dig deeper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like the Fuel Pump Relay ALSO had to have an external ground for it to work. We do NOT know where the other wires (to the relocated Fuel Pump Relay) come from yet.

With the external ground removed from the starter relay, will the fuel pump come on with transmission connector C1385 removed? I would check both with the Fuel Pump Relay external ground connected and without it connected.
thats ground for the relocated fuel pump relay

"With the external ground removed from the starter relay, will the fuel pump come on with transmission connector C1385 removed? I would check both with the Fuel Pump Relay external ground connected and without it connected."

will check tomorrow, thanks

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,067 Posts
That's interesting, I don't see anything in that plug that should affect the fuel pump
unless it is programming

Heading out to check my truck in other positions beside park and neutral
--fuel pump runs in all positions -- start only in park and neutral
One more helping of "crow" please ..........

Took the truck out for some errands (hadn't really driven it in a few days). Interestingly - the coolant pressure did not come up.

Checked the pressure "manually" and it was typical. Found that the sensor was wet.
Coolant was leaking into it.

Well, of course this sensor is what I used to check fuel pressure w/ the Range Sensor unplugged, since I can't hear much anymore.

With a different sensor, I now get fuel pressure at key on, run, crank, etc with the Range Sensor disconnected.

Man, I hate electrical issues! Once again, sorry for the mis-information!

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,067 Posts
It is readable if you copy the image and paste to an App like "Paint".

·
Master BS'er
5,917 Posts
Put the relay back in and disconnect connector a. Have someone turn the key to crank and see if there is power at pin 4 of the connector. If so, hook the connector up and have someone turn the key to crank and see if there is ground at pin 4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
One more helping of "crow" please ..........

Took the truck out for some errands (hadn't really driven it in a few days). Interestingly - the coolant pressure did not come up.

Checked the pressure "manually" and it was typical. Found that the sensor was wet.
Coolant was leaking into it.

Well, of course this sensor is what I used to check fuel pressure w/ the Range Sensor unplugged, since I can't hear much anymore.

With a different sensor, I now get fuel pressure at key on, run, crank, etc with the Range Sensor disconnected.

Man, I hate electrical issues! Once again, sorry for the mis-information!
started truck with the wire instead of the starter relay. It fired up immediately. The truck starts even with C1381b is removed ! (Throws DTCs).
At C1381a (plugged in) I suddenly have the ground at pin4. I don't know why I suddenly have ground (key on, not only at start), it was not like this the whole time. Also I have switched power from the key switch for coil positive and B+ on the starter relay. But I can't start with the starter relay plugged in the CJB port, there is a contact problem (I tried other relays as well). I can probably only solve this problem by replacing the CJB.

DTCs (C1381b was removed):

DTCs cleared:

KOER glow plug test: This issue

now i have found out that this fuse is one of the problems. If I pull this one, the pump dies and I have no more access to the CANs.

I have access everywhere (if fuel pump fuse has contact),
With the exception of :
GEM/Central timer
ParkAid
TBC CAN

but the fuse contact is very bad, I often have to jiggle the fuse or push it in to to make the pump run. That was probably the main problem why the truck died!!!!

i have to find out tomorrow what's the issue with pin4 ground

·
Registered
128 Posts
what´s Effin a. ?

i assume that if i put the relay and especially the fuses in a good holder, the truck will run.
But the mystery with the pin4 reason must be solved.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,067 Posts

·
Master BS'er
5,917 Posts
what´s Effin a. ?

i assume that if i put the relay and especially the fuses in a good holder, the truck will run.
I guess that doesn't translate in German does it?

It just means badass. Or sweet bro. Cool. A happy expression.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Hartwig Take some needle nose pliers and squeeze the fuse connection a little -- with the fuse out
those add on fuse holders are often just a blade terminal in a rubber housing

I hope this is correct, you have done all the work with translating

Nehmen Sie eine Nadelnasenzange und drücken Sie die Sicherungsverbindung ein wenig -- mit der Sicherung heraus
diese auf Sicherungshalter hinzufügen sind oft nur eine Klinge Klemme in einem Gummigehäuse

·
Registered
39 Posts
started truck with the wire instead of the starter relay. It fired up immediately. The truck starts even with C1381b is removed ! (Throws DTCs).
At C1381a (plugged in) I suddenly have the ground at pin4. I don't know why I suddenly have ground (key on, not only at start), it was not like this the whole time. Also I have switched power from the key switch for coil positive and B+ on the starter relay. But I can't start with the starter relay plugged in the CJB port, there is a contact problem (I tried other relays as well). I can probably only solve this problem by replacing the CJB.

now i have found out that this fuse is one of the problems. If I pull this one, the pump dies and I have no more access to the CANs.

I have access everywhere (if fuel pump fuse has contact),
With the exception of :
GEM/Central timer
ParkAid
TBC CAN

but the fuse contact is very bad, I often have to jiggle the fuse or push it in to to make the pump run. That was probably the main problem why the truck died!!!!

i have to find out tomorrow what's the issue with pin4 ground

@Hartwig
Terminal 85 and 86 for the start relay operate the coil
test with a light for power with the key in start position
also ground on the opposite terminal is from pin 4 of the pcm connector -- test by connecting your light to a power source
you already proved that jumping from terminal 30 to 87 would turn the starter

The connections inside the cjb could be tightened up with pliers -- save some money

281 - 300 of 326 Posts