Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
About 3 gallons to get it right lol

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Depends on what color it currently is and what color your going to. Looks like chit between the bed and cab because there's no good way to get it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
About 3 gallons to get it right lol
It took you only 3 gallons to dip the whole truck white?
What was your original color?

I've heard white (or light colors) is (are) the worst and always need an extra gallon or two. I've been looking at dipping my Passat - gunmetal gray? black? dunno yet - and I've been recommended 4-5 gallons and it's already a black base paint.

I really really really wanted to do white so I could do black accents but the horror stories with going to white dip from black paint really turned me off it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
It took you only 3 gallons to dip the whole truck white?
What was your original color?

I've heard white (or light colors) is (are) the worst and always need an extra gallon or two. I've been looking at dipping my Passat - gunmetal gray? black? dunno yet - and I've been recommended 4-5 gallons and it's already a black base paint.

I really really really wanted to do white so I could do black accents but the horror stories with going to white dip from black paint really turned me off it.
To do white from black, 2coats of gray to act as a primer then atleast 3 coats of white. Doing the gray so gives the white a better base to bind to. White is waterier than any other color and is easier to drip. So they recommend putting down gray first. But since gray is a more neutral color it makes any light color stand out more, not just white.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
To do white from black, 2coats of gray to act as a primer then atleast 3 coats of white. Doing the gray so gives the white a better base to bind to. White is waterier than any other color and is easier to drip. So they recommend putting down gray first. But since gray is a more neutral color it makes any light color stand out more, not just white.
Hows the white hold up to washing and dirtiness?
Does the dip stain if I don't wash it fast enough?
Can I always just redip the area that ends up getting ruined?

I have so many questions!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I had some on my headlights for a while. Basically through the winter. Don't judge the pics. Lol. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

Above 2 pics are dirty. The grille and mirrors were painted with krylon, no clear, and they have stained with mud and bug guts over the last year. The dip on the headlights was filthy more than once. First pic was all salt spray from winter. Second pic is some sandy muddy dirt water because I got bored one day. Both times it cleaned right off and didn't stain at all. It was only on the headlights for 4 months but again that was through winter and that mud hole 4 times. When I pulled it off the back was mostly the same color as the front, but I hadn't thoroughly washed it before hand. Every time i got it dirty the color never stained and all dirt came off with a little pressure on a sponge when washing it. Dip is not completely smooth. It has a slight texture so it does hold a small amount of dirt which washes off.

It is easily removed with thinner and a rag. If you watch the videos on YouTube he shows how to fix chips, however the only thing I would buy from them is the sprayer and the dip. The "special thinner" is just thinner, and the "pre-dip spray" is nothing special. I used windex and some super glass cleaner that's aerosol, I think it's called "sprayway" or something like that, then use rubbing alcohol to make sure it's very clean. The cleaner the surface is when you put it on the easier it is to take off later.

you can put more dip on top of dip as many times as you want. Color changes or touch ups or whatever.

I'll attach some pics of what I did when doing those headlights for masking them off. The videos from DIP YOUR CAR.com on YouTube are very helpful. Also you can message them on Facebook with questions
and he typically gets back to you in a
day. Cash Technology Paper Electronic device Furniture
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Amber

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts