Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys Im buying my first powerstroke in a couple days. 96 4x4 5 speed 7.3. All it needs is the three steering box bolts, pitman arm nut, and starter. My question is now, how do i get it on the trailer? will i be able to push/winch it on and kick the tires as i go to keep it strait?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Welcome,
Why not buy parts and install prior to trailering? If tie rod is on you could ratchet strap it off the axle from each end to keep wheels straight I’m thinking.

For a starter buy the SD 7.3 one for a 2000-2003 as it’s a gear reduction, spins way faster and bolts right up, in fact only need two bolts (compared to stock 3). You might have to enlarge one ring connector on stock wiring harness. And the SD starter is less expensive too.

Cheers,
j

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Welcome,
Why not buy parts and install prior to trailering? If tie rod is on you could ratchet strap it off the axle from each end to keep wheels straight I’m thinking.

For a starter buy the SD 7.3 one for a 2000-2003 as it’s a gear reduction, spins way faster and bolts right up, in fact only need two bolts (compared to stock 3). You might have to enlarge one ring connector on stock wiring harness. And the SD starter is less expensive too.

Cheers,
j
Actually you want the 2003 model, the 99-2002 models are not gear reduction.

I had the auto zone guy pull a starter for every year truck. Only the 2003 models are gear reduction.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Actually you want the 2003 model, the 99-2002 models are not gear reduction.

I had the auto zone guy pull a starter for every year truck. Only the 2003 models are gear reduction.
Thanks for the clarification LT.Dan, guess the guys at my store have always provided the G reduction one for me and I have always thought the former where as well.
Thanks again,
j

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Thanks for the clarification LT.Dan, guess the guys at my store have always provided the G reduction one for me and I have always thought the former where as well.
Thanks again,
j
No worries, I was doing research for a better starter at the time, and I had him pull ever year from 97 up to 2012, looking at 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 starters to see if they were worth trying to modify the nose cone, etc, to fit my 7.3.

The only one worth it was the 2003 model. No modifications and better than the 96 starter.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Hi guys Im buying my first powerstroke in a couple days. 96 4x4 5 speed 7.3. All it needs is the three steering box bolts, pitman arm nut, and starter. My question is now, how do i get it on the trailer? will i be able to push/winch it on and kick the tires as i go to keep it strait?
To answer your question, yes, you can just kick the tires to get it up on a trailer, just be careful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts