Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs: 2004 6.0, 95,000 miles auto trans, green intake, 4" exhaust, egr delete.

Problem:
Blowing coolant out degas bottle again.

What to do?

I've been reading around and maybe i need to replace my oil cooler. Looking around on ebay at oil cooler kit seems to be the right place to purchase one but not sure what all i would need.

as it appears there are 2 part numbers for the oil cooler kit, One ending in AA and the other in CA. and the ones that are more expensive come with a housing, is that only necessary if its cracked or something?

Also are there any instructions or pics to go by for working on the oil cooler?

thanks in advance.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
The housing typically does not need to be replaced. You should be fine w/ the part number ending in CA.

If you tackle the job yourself, just be VERY clean. It is common after an oil cooler replacement to develop a hole in the IPR screen and have the IPR valve fail. Practically any debris at all can clog up the IPR screen and cause it to fail.

The screen under the oil cooler sometimes fails and lets debris in the feed get to the pump. When you do the oil cooler replacement it would be wise to replace this screen. Sometimes when the screen is removed, debris gets in that way. Sometimes it happens when you start it up, other times it may happen 3 days later, and sometimes not at all.

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
my truck has been puking coolant the past month or so but never empties the degas bottle and it never overheats or anyhting. I havent noticed any other leaks and their is no oil mixing with my coolant. i was told it might be my cap.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Try a new cap from the stealership, if that doesn't work possible headgaskets. FWIW I would do a full EGR delete. I have FCDP's kit on my truck and I'm happy with it, and Adams customer service is top notch!

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
prolly so, but there is no water in oil or oil in water.....still possible i guess.
On the 6.0L, a head gasket failure will not put water in the oil ..... Neither will it put oil in the water. Due to significantly higher pressures, the combustion gasses get into the coolant.

·
Registered
667 Posts
im guessing head gaskets. Mine started to puke and got worse and worse. Had a new oil egr cooler, degaus bottle you name it. Finally fixed with new heads gaskets and studs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like its time for new gaskets and Arp studs.

and maybe some other mods, just not sure what yet as i use the truck to tow a lot of the time.

Are the Ford head gaskets good or are there better ones out there?

Maybe do injectors while its apart.

The stock turbo is in great shape and i'm not looking for huge power gains.

Also move on to a Full egr delete, FCDP?

Thanks

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
I have FCDP's kit on my truck and am very pleased with it, Adams customer service is top notch! You could clean the stock turbo while it's apart and it will be fine unless you go with bigger injectors. I plan on 155 injectors one day and will be staying with my stock turbo. Ford headgaskets are good as well but Adam sells gaskets and ARP studs. Another thing to consider while it's apart is rebuilding the oil cooler and adding a coolant filter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just recently put the turbo on cuz the one that was on the truck was garbage when i got it. So i cleaned it then. Works great and whistles like no other....

I already have arp studs waiting on the shelf.

I also have a oil cooler kit.

I will look in to the coolant filter setup.

thanks

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
I have the dieselsite coolant filter kit on my truck and like it really well. I do however like Doug at GoGo diesel's kit as well only because it lays the filter out horizontal as opposed to vertical like Bobs. This would make filter changes easier. I plan on making a bracket to flip my coolant filter horizontal to make the changes easier. Just my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts