Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody taken a Bumper pull Backhoe trailer and converted it to Gooseneck? I have an Econoline Backhoe pro 24k trailer. I got it cheap and its got new axles and brakes and stuff. But i really want to have a gooseneck Becase the thing is pretty heavy for a bumper pull and i can't use it to its full potential.

This is the only pic i have of it But i think it wouldnt be too hard, Just get beams that are strong enough. I have a Friend with the gooseneck version to compare for dimensions on the neck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ive seen it done before. it doesnt look like its to hard of a job

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
There are a few around here that people have done that 2. I have pulled one of them. You just have to make sure that the welds are good and strong

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know some extremely good welders and planned on having them do it for me. What did it cost you guys in material? We thought at first it would cost too much and be too much of a head ache. But im thinking about starting to gather materials since it seems like heavy goosenecks like this are going for a pretty penny.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
I know some extremely good welders and planned on having them do it for me. What did it cost you guys in material? We thought at first it would cost too much and be too much of a head ache. But im thinking about starting to gather materials since it seems like heavy goosenecks like this are going for a pretty penny.
the materials really arent guna cost that much, you should be able to pick all of it up for under 1000$

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what i was thinking. Anybody know beam strengths? I know its a big beam under the trailer 12+ inches IIRC, But what size and thickness should i look into?

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
I think I remember spending $600 including the coupler I used A36 C channel 10" 25# iirc. If you have a place that has GN trailers around there the weight number should be stamped or formed on the channel or I beam

·
Registered
480 Posts
just a idea but have you looked at the local junk yards for a gooseneck that was in a accident? the neck may be good on it still and get it cheep...

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Shouldn't cost much at all, and its very doable. Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe use something like a 16#, 18# per foot 12" I beam, or equal c - channel.

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
School me on the beam strenght. I know what you mean on pounds per foot but what is that in capacity? I want this thing to still be capable of hauling 24k you know? A bit overkill is fine with me for peace of mind.

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I think you'll get a good idea as to what size beam or c channel to use, not to mention a good fabricator, or welder should be able to give you good input on what to use for the neck. But you sound like you have the right idea.
Personally I would match the width of the neck with the width of the frame over the length of the trailer. I don't think a narrower neck is as sturdy (for example tipping side to side).

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
Halliburton's red book has alot of structural strengths in it but the beam strength would have to be engineered I will try to find the formula for it. The taller and thicker the beam the stronger it will be. The wider neck will help reduce trailer twisting. the uprights on mine are about 7.5' wide

·
Power by IH
184 Posts
I'd use 12" I beam, 19# per foot, C channel isn't rigid enough for my liking. I've done 4 GN conversions in the last 2 years, usually around $1300 materials and labor.

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok i found two 24 foot beams in the back yard. They have 5/16's tops and bottoms and 1/4 inch in the center 12 inch beams. Anyone know what they would equal out too?

·
Registered
145 Posts
looks like you have a good start to make the up rights and a frame. all you need now is some 5/16 or 1/4 plate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts