Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a South Bend 1944-6OFEK complete clutch kit.

After 110 miles on the newly built engine and transmission, I had a rear oil leak and dropped the tranny. I found the kevlar pilot bushing - yes, it was greased - looking like this.

Has anyone replaced their kevlar bushing in their South Bend Flywheel with a roller bearing? What size is it, please?

Yes, lots of old threads exist on pilot bearings, but five or more years old may be too outdated.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Jax,

Do you have a set of calipers? Measure the outside of your bushing. Also measure the OD of the pilot on your input shaft. I'll wager that both are even metric numbers.

Cj

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Something is hay-wire here. It looks like the splines on the input shaft buggered the end of that, as if the bushing is too long, or something. Could be why it was so hard to stab.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, all!

Could someone tell me the difference between "needle bearings" and "roller bearings? And what is the stock pilot bearing FoMoCo?

I just picked one up and those bearings look awfully narrow!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what might be the best aftermarket pilot bearing for a 1999 Ford F350 . . . ?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yuck . . . they all look alike. Needle bearing.

Which side toward the engine?

It seems to me that if this side is toward the engine, the shaft of the transmission can rub on the other side, just like it did on the kevlar bushing. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's the one that I don't like... eventually the grease will harden and the rollers will seize on the input shaft and wear a nice deep groove in it. I prefer a sealed ball bearing.

Cj

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the one that I don't like... eventually the grease will harden and the rollers will seize on the input shaft and wear a nice deep groove in it. I prefer a sealed ball bearing.

Cj
Recommendation? I don't have anything come up in a search.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
When I get home I'll look at my old flywheel and see if I can get you a number. If rockauto is accurate... I think it may be a 6003z (17mm ID x 35 mm x 10 mm thick) bearing (but don't quote me on that yet).

Cj

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My input shaft is 17, but the flywheel seems to be 34.75.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get home I'll look at my old flywheel and see if I can get you a number. If rockauto is accurate... I think it may be a 6003z (17mm ID x 35 mm x 10 mm thick) bearing (but don't quote me on that yet).

Cj
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ok Jax, It is a confirmed hit and kill.. That there is the bearing a NSK 6003V. This is the one I used and it worked great. I had to push it in deeper than usual as the previous bearing (the much loved... errrr despised needle bearing) created the grove. To avoid the groove I pushed the ball bearing in far enough to pick up the tip of the pilot on the input shaft. Nice thing is if it gives up the ghost you have a better chance of having an intact pilot on your input shaft.
Auto part Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system Circle

Reactions: heavydoc and Jax

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok Jax, It is a confirmed hit and kill.. That there is the bearing a NSK 6003V. This is the one I used and it worked great. I had to push it in deeper than usual as the previous bearing (the much loved... errrr despised needle bearing) created the grove. To avoid the groove I pushed the ball bearing in far enough to pick up the tip of the pilot on the input shaft. Nice thing is if it gives up the ghost you have a better chance of having an intact pilot on your input shaft.
View attachment 201386
Ordered!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Th e 99 and p forums have warnings about the Plastic bearing. There plenty of heavy duty bearings to replace it.
Lucky break that you found it early.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'll throw in here it's my opinion that those bearings do not come with enough grease in them. I usually work a grease needle in between the seal and a race and add some. Be careful not to damage the seal.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Th e 99 and p forums have warnings about the Plastic bearing. There plenty of heavy duty bearings to replace it.
Lucky break that you found it early.
What is 'the 99 and p forums', please?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts