Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this was about the biggest waste of money I have spend on the truck. It lasted exactly two WOT shifts and then broke. Spartan 310 owns this thing!

At least I was able to get two paper weights out of it. Only $412.40 each! :doh:

·
Registered
798 Posts
it's the 310 + TCM that's your problem.

* I meant TCM + Suncoast.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I am glad I stayed with the stock shaft. Sucks ass that it snaps like that, would think Suncoast would take care of it.

·
Transmission Junkie
197 Posts
Suncoast does not manufacture the part. I am seeing and hearing on the forums is that with transmission tuning they are making the transmission shift too hard. I have seen this with other transmissions as well. The factory intermediate shaft seems to be a pretty good shaft, but it also may have some torsional give to it as well. If you make the transmission shift too hard, you will break parts. There is a difference between making the transmission shift well (firm and crisp) and making it bang into gear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suncoast does not manufacture the part. I am seeing and hearing on the forums is that with transmission tuning they are making the transmission shift too hard. I have seen this with other transmissions as well. The factory intermediate shaft seems to be a pretty good shaft, but it also may have some torsional give to it as well. If you make the transmission shift too hard, you will break parts. There is a difference between making the transmission shift well (firm and crisp) and making it bang into gear.
Agreed.

This is why I'm removing the Spartan TCM and going back to stock.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
wonder how many intermediates spartan tuning has claimed now?

Im running a stock intermediate BTW

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Agreed.

This is why I'm removing the Spartan TCM and going back to stock.
What really needs to be done is the truck needs to be put on a dyno and ran through the gears, if the power drops between shifts then you know one clutch isnt releasing by the time the other is being applied... if it is loosing power and hanging up, then there is a TON of force on the shaft I.E breakage.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Has Innovative tuning broken any shafts yet? I'm in need of a built trans, but if its not going to hold to even a 310 tune, whats the point?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What really needs to be done is the truck needs to be put on a dyno and ran through the gears, if the power drops between shifts then you know one clutch isnt releasing by the time the other is being applied... if it is loosing power and hanging up, then there is a TON of force on the shaft I.E breakage.
Good plan, but I already removed the Spartan TCM. Just took the truck for a drive with the KEM 275 and it shifts nice, so far.

I should have dyno numbers for the KEM 275/310/345 tonight.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Has Innovative tuning broken any shafts yet? I'm in need of a built trans, but if its not going to hold to even a 310 tune, whats the point?
None that I know of. Erics transmission tuning is top notch. Even his biggest tunes have great driveability due to how well he tunes the transmission.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My Suncoast is now safe with Kem Performance tuning. Very crisp, positive shifts without any type of banging. AND………. I’m running my job 1 TCM!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Suncoast is now safe with Kem Performance tuning. Very crisp, positive shifts without any type of banging. AND………. I’m running my job 1 TCM!
What KEM tunes are you running? I also just went back to my Job 1 TCM.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah I'm running billet shafts and no Spartan TCM. Been good all last summer running the 310v8 and now KEM 345. I know my truck is lighter. But some of you barely get to have fun and it breaks. I've had tons of fun and been flawless!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I'm running billet shafts and no Spartan TCM. Been good all last summer running the 310v8 and now KEM 345. I know my truck is lighter. But some of you barely get to have fun and it breaks. I've had tons of fun and been flawless!!
Thanks for rubbing it in! ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
If I wanted to rub it in I would show ya vids of my truck doin burnouts, nitrous runs and still driving around afterwards:poke::D

I feel for you guys with broken trans, that really blows!

Someone tried to get me to install a Spartan TCM and I'm glad I ignored him!

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Whats wrong with the spartan tuner and TCM with a Suncoast trans?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts