Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 2000 F250, 2 wheel drive, 6 speed manual, running 265/75's for rubber and is bone stock except for the gauges.

I am looking at the PHP chip and would like to hear what experiences people have had with the economy settings on that chip.

I don't have a heavy foot and looking towards this chip for both the economy and tow setting.

What are the milage gains that people have had?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
ive found you get better mileage with a high hp tune and staying out of the pedal than with an economy tune.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess would be the economy tunes focus on the shifting points and the OD engaging point, correct?

If that is true, it would be useless for my truck due to being the 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I do believe you're correct. I noticed it shifts into OD a lot faster than all the other tunes. Stick with the power tunes you'll be better off. I also saw lower boost number with the econo tune.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to get the right tunes the first time and since the manual changes everything, don't want to pay for useless tunes.
I'm thinking the HP tunes would be more beneficial.
Wondering if the tow tunes do the same thing?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think most of the changes between dd and performance and towing tunes is in the shifting pattern for automatic transmissions. If you had an 80perf on an automatic truck and an 80 tow on a manual truck I think they would be the same amount of extra power over stock. A tow tune in an automatic makes in engage OD much later than normal to save from burning it up.

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
I notice a big difference in low end fueling between 80 performance and 80 tow, with tow being slightly slower spool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I notice a big difference in low end fueling between 80 performance and 80 tow, with tow being slightly slower spool.
So, it would be worth while to get both tow and performance, even with a 6 speed. It's not all just auto trans and shifting points.

I can assume the faster spool is in performance mode?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yes ^^ tow tune is set up to keep manageable EGT's, with the power coming on later it is easier on the drive train as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
considering the driving I do, I will probably do all the tow tunes, the quiet tune and a performance tune. Who doesn't want to play every once in a while! :p

Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just ordered the chip.
Here's what I ordered
Stock
80 hp daily driver
100 hp performance
And the three tows

Should do the truck some good and hopefully my mileage also.
Just have to wait to get it now.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Drive by the boost guage...you want to use as little psi for economy..it doesn't matter what tune you are using.

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
I actually have been driving in 80 tow since installing the stage 2's, I really need to get my chip rewritten for them, but In 80 perf or 100 race the smoke is unmanageable period with the injectors, had no smoke before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drive by the boost guage...you want to use as little psi for economy..it doesn't matter what tune you are using.
That makes perfect sense and what I have experienced with my old truck. The less exhaust pressure you make, the less your turbo spools and the less your motor is working.
It's funny because I had a guy at work tell me the opposite and he was dead set that he was right. At least I don't have to pay for his diesel. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually have been driving in 80 tow since installing the stage 2's, I really need to get my chip rewritten for them, but In 80 perf or 100 race the smoke is unmanageable period with the injectors, had no smoke before.
You do need to get that fixed. There's nothing worse than being on the motorcycle next to a diesel that rolls coal when the pedal is pressed.
These yahoos think it's funny or something, but it happens more than what I woiuld like it to.

So, with my truck being stock, and staying that way for the most part, I shouldn't have excessive smoke. That is what I read on the PHP website. I'm perfectly happy with that.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You do need to get that fixed. There's nothing worse than being on the motorcycle next to a diesel that rolls coal when the pedal is pressed.
These yahoos think it's funny or something, but it happens more than what I woiuld like it to.

So, with my truck being stock, and staying that way for the most part, I shouldn't have excessive smoke. That is what I read on the PHP website. I'm perfectly happy with that.
i actually try to stay out of he pedal as much as possible whenever a motorcycle is behind me. now the douche in the convertible that rides your ass... hes a different story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i actually try to stay out of he pedal as much as possible whenever a motorcycle is behind me. now the douche in the convertible that rides your ass... hes a different story.
Of course there are exceptions, even on motorcycles!
I thank you for staying out of it for us.
Maybe that is why I ordered the 100 HP Performance, Just for the jak-offs. ;)

But, P**s poor drivers and getting smoked out is anther thread I'm sure. lol

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Of course there are exceptions, even on motorcycles!
I thank you for staying out of it for us.
Maybe that is why I ordered the 100 HP Performance, Just for the jak-offs. ;)

But, P**s poor drivers and getting smoked out is anther thread I'm sure. lol
I'm sure I'm gonna get #### for saying that but I'm fairly certain in the back of my mind there was a reason why I put the 120 smoke screen on the chip when I put all the tunes on. :D

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Where I live we get Russians New Yorkers and jersyites. The Russians are by far the worst and jersey and New York are a close tie for second.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts