Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im not sure if this has been discussed already so I'm going to ask anyways. I have a 2002 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke with 170,000 miles. I bought the truck from someone who bought the truck from someone, no one knows the internals of the truck such as injectors, I do believe everything is stock other than a tune has been downloaded and the programmer pulled, I know this bc you can tell the pcm has been removed and while running some test for an issue the Mechanic told me the truck has definitely been tuned at some point based on RPMs and it will roll coal.

I just bought a Edge insight CTS3 and a PHP Hydra tuner for the truck (have not received them yet), I seen a post that I can no longer find that stated the Hydra will override any time that is currently on the truck. Does anyone know if this is true or does my truck need to be reflashed?

·
Registered
299 Posts
True. The hydra will overtake anything else and programmers can not be stacked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome to PSN! Kyle is correct that the Hydra will over ride the PCM calibration. You can have up to 15 different calibrations loaded on the Hydra (if it is available you may even be able to put the "stock" calibration on). If you wish to return the PCM to stock, Diesel Technology of Chattanooga can reflash the PCM for around $60 bucks (dieseltechchatt.com/). If you think the injectors are stock they are likely still split-shots. You could have one flow tested to be sure, although pulling an injector comes with its own can of worms.

Cj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I should be fine with just installing the Hydra and it should be ready to Go?

I've owned the truck 2 years now and have never been in the position to start doing some mods until now. Besides looks I have only upgraded the clutch to a 450hp and 900ft torque heavy duty clutch. Truck is a 6spd and I often pull a cattle trailer and camper.

I have researched and been drawn to the Hydra for awhile now, just as I stated haven't been in the position to buy one. But after starting my own buisness and doing well I now can. I bought the CTS 3 instead of traditional gauges due to the list of options it can do that gauges can not. I am excited to install both of them within the coming weekend. I just wanted to make sure the Hydra will work.

Thanks for the info, that eases my mind a bit more!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Nice looking truck. Adding a Hydra...(I have one myself). I like that you can get calibrations in the mail without having to pull the chip to send it in. One thing I would recommend - get a pyrometer installed in one of the up pipes to the turbo (I.E. between the exhaust manifold and the turbo) as this is where the exhaust gases will be hottest. . With the additional power that better calibrations can unlock, you need to keep track of EGTs - more power = more heat.

Cj

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice looking truck. Adding a Hydra...(I have one myself). I like that you can get calibrations in the mail without having to pull the chip to send it in. One thing I would recommend - get a pyrometer installed in one of the up pipes to the turbo (I.E. between the exhaust manifold and the turbo) as this is where the exhaust gases will be hottest. . With the additional power that better calibrations can unlock, you need to keep track of EGTs - more power = more heat.

Cj
EGT probe should go on the driver's side manifold, not the up pipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been running my hydra now and it's been a great addition to the truck! I usually run in the 65hp daily tune or 80hp performance tune that come from PHP. Can you keep those tunes and also add tunes from 1023 Jellibuilt or another source or do you have to clear your chip and only have tunes from the company you choose? Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
All of these guys are wrong!

You can use the Hydra without a ref lash, however it will be stacking with the current tune that is loaded from the old tuner.

Also, if you don’t get a reflash, there will not be a stock tune ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts

You can use the Hydra without a ref lash, however it will be stacking with the current tune that is loaded from the old tuner.

I would suggest you do a little more on the 7.3 pcm. The port for the chip does over ride the programming on the pcm. Once the chip is remove it goes right back to thw programming before it was installed.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes. You can have any combination of tunes you want. You have 15 spots to fill.

·
Registered
84 Posts

No "stacking" in a 7.3. The hydra will override whatever tune until hydra is removed. Then it will use whatever tune was already flashed to PCM before chip install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts