Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a co-worker who outright bought a Gryphon tuner from PHP, so I bought a tune from PHP, loaded it onto his tuner and went to work. I've only tried three of them so far: economy, Atlas 40, and Atlas 80. I do not have mileage figures, as I just installed the tune yesterday, but after a few tanks I'll make a report. As for the rest? Well, the install went smoothly and quickly. Just follow the directions on the screen, wait less than two minutes, and it's tuned! Pretty damn simple. The most difficult part was pulling the relay....which isn't difficult at all.

Economy: no real noticeable increase in power (obviously), but you can definitely feel the reduced turbo lag. There's no more weird feeling of pushing the go pedal and not having the engine change RPM, or not having the truck move. Just a slight depressing of the pedal and off you go. It's not quite like a gasser, but it's a huge difference!

Atlas 40: All the low end stuff is much like above, but with a little bit extra. I would say slightly improved bottom-end feel than the economy. However, when you get on it, oh yeah....you can tell the 40 or so extra ponies are there! Smooth delivery too. No odd sudden burst of power.

Atlas 80: Low end is like the 40. Anything more than about 1/8-1/4 of the way into the pedal travel and you get a considerable increase in power without it being too quick of a delivery. Strong, smooth, linear power delivery. Feels very nice. With my around town driving, I found I actually had to change my driving habits, as I was accelerating much faster, and would wind up going too fast at times as well. As for top end? Well, the initial oomph from a stop with a WOT run is stronger than stock for sure, but the real magic happens after about one second when the turbo finally spools up to full boost. I would think my girlfriend's "OOOF!" and "HOLY ####!" as she was slammed into the back of her seat should give you a hint. lol It's like someone put an angry honey badger in there when I tip that pedal now. Combined with my new exhaust, it's downright scary considering I have zero power mods besides this tune. And yet, it's a docile kitten until you want the tiger to roar. VERY happy with this tune for sure.

I also want to chime in on their customer service. I ordered it Thursday morning. As it's an electronic file, I would have thought I would get an email right back telling me how to download it. Nope. Friday at work I finally get a chance to follow up with them....just as I realized it was 5 minutes til they closed. Oops. First person I spoke to handled me. I didn't get transferred, didn't get put on hold. Angela even knew who I was before I even told her! Either I was the only one who ordered a tune or they have caller ID. lol Turns out, they need to know what serial number the Gryphon is in order to get it programmed properly, which is why there was a delay. See, they couldn't find my name in their system, which caused a hiccup....it wasn't purchased under my name. Well, I didn't have the serial number because it was at home and I was at work. No problem, she said. She said she would text me, and when I got home I could text her back the number, and she would set it up so I would be able to do the install first thing the next day. So not only did I get taken care of right when I called, I had one of their employees do some work from home, during her off time, to make sure I was satisfied. Can't ask for better than that!!

·
Administrator
32,939 Posts
I run the Hercules and get an amazing 2-3 MPG better

i am in economy FICM now because i was towing and have not re calibrated and my MPG is down 1 mpg from the Herc tune lol

my truck used to get 11 mpg no matter what now i can get a steady 13 .6 unless i idle a lot or slow in town driving

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it possible to get these tunes for the SCT X4?

No these tunes are specifically for your ficm. The sct only tunes the ecm and tcm.

I have the atlas 40 along with WPE race tune. Last tank had me at 15.7 mpg and thats with being somewhat modest with the skinny pedal. I did see a 2 mpg increase after my zf6 swap. Before the best i could hope for was high 13s/low 14s. But i have had alot of variables change since so its hard to tell what really helped alot more.

But i cant conplain getting about 16 mpg with a CCLB on 35s and a 6" lift

·
Registered
84 Posts
No these tunes are specifically for your ficm. The sct only tunes the ecm and tcm.

I have the atlas 40 along with WPE race tune. Last tank had me at 15.7 mpg and thats with being somewhat modest with the skinny pedal. I did see a 2 mpg increase after my zf6 swap. Before the best i could hope for was high 13s/low 14s. But i have had alot of variables change since so its hard to tell what really helped alot more.

But i cant conplain getting about 16 mpg with a CCLB on 35s and a 6" lift

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just have to send my ficm in to be programmed. I really want to put the Atlas 40 on it.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
What exactly are you trying to learn?
for some reason i though weatherlite was saying he was loading ficm tunes through obd2 port just like a custom/canned tune for the ecm like you'd see in a sct tuner... but i always thought a ficm tune was something hard-programmed, requiring sending the ficm unit out to a facility like PHP. so i've discombobulated myself lol

so ... i guess... how DO you change FICM tunes?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basically, yes. Unplug the FICM relay, turn key on, plug in tuner, follow instructions, plug relay back in. Really that simple! IF you buy the tuner, you can change between programs in about two minutes flat. If you don't, you'll have to stick with whatever you select.

I just tried the Hercules tune. So, not towing, the 40 runs a little hotter on EGT. The 80 runs a little hotter than that. The Herc is definitely hotter. WOT run to 60 and my EGT almost hit 1400 on the Hercules. Honestly, not a lot of difference between the 100 and 80, so I'm sticking with the 80. Besides, I do have to do light towing on occasion. lol

Next two posts will be a stock FICM WOT run to 60 and then the 100 tune WOT to 60, just so you guys can see the difference. Doesn't look like a lot on the video, but in person it's freaking night and day. Oh, ignore the clanking noise....I had a couple exhaust pipes in the back. Also, I don't have anywhere isolated to sit on the road and then go, so please forgive the few seconds of moving before I can stop and hit the go juice. You'll know when it reaches 60 by engine noise. And one final thought, this is on an Excursion with slightly bigger tires than stock (I think about 2" larger), so it's one heavy bitch...but she still gets up and goes! lol

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock FICM

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hercules 100

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, it does. About 2-3 seconds difference between stock and the 100. But, between 80 and 100, the difference is minimal IMO. Yes, there's definitely more, but not so much that it makes me just want to stick with the 100 and de-tune when I tow.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just with a very light load, about 2500. Nothing noticeable in EGR temp difference. I have to move my trailer (still light, about 7,000) in a few days, and I'll report back. I spoke with PHP and they said up to 8000 is generally safe with the Atlas 80 as long as you're watching the temps.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, figured I'd throw up a couple updates.

Towing 7,000 was, as expected, a dream. It was always easy, but you can tell it's even easier now. The only problem I foresee with the 80 tune and towing is it pulls so hard that you forget there's a load behind you, and the revs climb a little too quickly, so I see the potential for someone to get those EGTs higher than they might like. Speaking of EGT though, they weren't much higher than what I would have seen with the stock tune. Straight and level I was running about 800 at 75MPH. Steep hills, no downshift, and about 1100. On loooooong steep hills, it rose to about 1300 because, like PHP warns, it didn't want to downshift because it had the power to keep going. Once I slowed a hair toward the top and she shifted, it dropped to about 1200. Both within specs, but I wouldn't want them to sit there all day. This is definitely not a tune to run with anything heavy.

As for mileage, I'm impressed with my initial observations. I'm two tanks in. My first one I can't really comment on since there was a lot of WOT runs to see what each tune did (and to play a little with the higher HP tunes), and I towed the trailer.....but I still averaged 13MPG with this damn winter fuel. My second full tank was 1/2 around town driving and 1/2 interstate. While on the interstate, I was driving at 82MPH for half, and 82 MPH with the AC on for the other half. For that tank, I got 16.5 MPG. Normally, when I run 72MPH on the interstate and have about a 60/40 mix of town/highway driving, I get about 14MPG, so it's definitely a considerable improvement, and I should get even better once I have the same conditions. Can't wait for summer fuel. According to the place I go (bulk dealer so they know what's in their tanks) they'll have the last of the winter mix pumped out (based on consumer use) by this week.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, another update....I pulled the trailer today in 100 degree temps. Even with the 5" exhaust, I can tell you that I will NOT be doing any towing with the Atlas 80 when ambient temps are high. It got too hot very quickly. I pulled over and installed the 40....no problems and I was comfortable with the temps.

On another note, I was able to get 18.5MPG running 82MPH, through some pretty hilly areas, with the AC on, and even adding in about 20 miles of city driving in SLC. I didn't even get that on a regular basis running at slower speeds!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts