Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting in the shop waiting for my oil to be changed, and I saw an add for Penn grade 1 oil. http://www.bradpennracing.com
has anybody heard of this or tried it before? It sounds a lot like the stuff Beaner sales (schaffers).

I have a call into the rep about pricing, and I'm just curious about it.

They make a 15w40 and 20w50.

Sean

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just spoke w the area rep. He says that the API rated CI4 would work in the 7.3/6.0 with no problems. It looks like buying it in 5g pales would cost about $13/gal. Not too bad.

The part number he gave me was 7177 for 15w40.
The CJ4 version part number is 7196.

If anybody has tried this stuff, let me know. I'm interested in tring it. I'd like to know how it compares to schaffers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question I just thought of.

What would be the difference between running 15w40 and 20w50 be? Is 20w50 just too heavy?

·
Plays with Motors
611 Posts
Brad Penn oil is IMO one of the best race oils you can buy, we have used it forever as Kendall GT1 20w-50 before that name was bought by Conoco-Phillips, now the original Pennsylvania "Green" oil is called Brad Penn, while Kendall is just generic Texas or middle east crude.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I drive by the refinery where it is made every day. We use the 15w40 diesel oil in everything diesel and it's the oil we use in the shop for changes. Excellant oil. A lot of guys use the diesel oil for break in oil on the gas engines. I always used the same oil in my pulling trucks.

If anyone can't find a source for the oil, just shoot me a pm. I can get you whatever you need.

And yes it works fine in the 6.4's.

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
can we get some specs, boiling point, syntehtic? etc

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any reason it wouldnt work in the 6.4 ?
The rep told me that the PN7177 (CI4) has more sulfure than the later model trucks w the DPF like.

He said that PN7196 (CJ4) is made for the DPF trucks.

It sounds like a great oil to me. I'm going to order up 15-20gal and give it a try.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
The rep told me that the PN7177 (CI4) has more sulfure than the later model trucks w the DPF like.

He said that PN7196 (CJ4) is made for the DPF trucks.

It sounds like a great oil to me. I'm going to order up 15-20gal and give it a try.
well i dont have the dpf..maybe ill buy 4 gallons from you and try it.... probaly wont do an oil change for at least 6 months but..im in!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i dont have the dpf..maybe ill buy 4 gallons from you and try it.... probaly wont do an oil change for at least 6 months but..im in!!
You don't have a DPF??:pointlaugh: I'm tellin the governator:D

I was actually going to put one on my truck. I heard everybody's doin it. Doesn't it help improve your MPG?
Plus you can roast wennies when it goes into regen.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I run the racing oil in my race car. Like said earlier, probably one of the best racing oils available.

I think it is a partial synthetic oil. I know it takes some pretty severe oil temps in my circle track car and lasts well.

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
the burn temp is not as high as I use now, AMSOIL - Synthetic Diesel & Marine Motor Oil SAE 15W-40 (AME)
main reason I use amsoil is for the burn point, if snuff charger, or something happens and motors shuts off, with egts over 2k, the oil in the turbo will get hot fast when it sets after a shut down
but id like to see one with smarts compare the brad penn, amsoil, and schafers from the test results

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd also like to see how LE compairs w the others. I use it in my trans and diffs, but it's way too much for me to use in the motor when I change it every 3k.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Moves this to fluids section, carry on.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think anybody has made comparisions yet, but I'd love to see some.

Is there a fluid section?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts