Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make it so the truck needs to have the accelerator pedal mashed in order to start? I bought this truck a couple months ago and have had some starting issues with it. It runs great once it's warmed up but it cranks forever and needs the pedal down to start. Any input is appreciated. I ordered AE today so that should be here probably early next week. First thing I will be looking at is ICP and DC% while cranking.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
the only thing I can think of that with the pedal down, you are creating a higher DC/pressure signal requirement that may help a pump/system with trouble building pressure. Id be looking for a pressure leak or a PO'd IPR.

I've got a pump/ipr that acts goofy once in awhile (1 out of 20-30 starts), either it no starts or it gets a little idle skip that is heard at idle but smooths once accelerated and cleans up if kept on high idle for a couple minutes (you see the pressure spikes on the scangauge).

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. That's kinda what I was thinking too. The extended crank has me thinking oil. The fuel filter looks good. I haven't changed the oil yet but that is coming soon. All injectors are spitting oil when running which makes me think it's not an injector issue and the truck only has 144k miles. The batteries, glow plugs, and relay are brand new. The starter has seen better days but still does the job. Just weird that it usually needs to pedal mashed in order to start..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts