Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Nation, the time finally came to take my new toy hauler out to the desert. Fully loaded down with fuel, water, this, clothes, etc, the truck and trailer gross combined at 20,000lbs. I had all my tire pressure's set, right distribution of weight, and weight distribution hitch installed, airbags at 20lbs and a mildly aggressive towing tune.

I got to driving, and the truck was doing great. On flat ground it had tons of power for passing, cruise control set at 60mph. The test was when I hit the Tehachapi Grade, varying 5-7% grade for about 15 miles with little rest inbetween. I hit the bottom at 70mph in 4th, then at 60 down shifted to 3rd, keeping eye on EGTs, maintaining 1250-1300*, then after a while got down to about 48mph and forced it into 2nd, where the truck screamed at 3000rpms for the last 2-3 miles, maintaining 48mph. Ambient temps were about 50*, trans never got over 165*, ECT were always low on the gauge, BUT, my EOT got waayyyyy high, I saw it peak at 271* at the very top of the hill. It quickly dropped to 240* after about a mile of downhill coasting.

After we got to our destination and off the freeway, the truck was kind of loping around here and there, didn't sound smooth (probably pushed off at me lol). But I got to our camp spot and let it idle for about 15ming, where EOT got down to 200*, and EGT got down to 250* while idling, and I shut her off.

Does anybody think 271* is a little too high? I'm running Delo Isosyn 15w-40 with only about 1000miles on it. Im debating on when I get home I take a sample and send it out to see really how it looks.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I can't imagine he EOT getting that high without the coolant temperature getting quite high as well (due to the oil being cooled by the coolant). An oil analysis might help to ease your mind (if it comes back "clean" of course). It's probably fortunate that you were pulling the pass this time of year instead of the heat of summer! Cheers!

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
I agree with Patrick. The coolant temp should of been darn near pegged out. Was the fan roaring? Have the water pump ever been changed?

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, when I say ECT was cold, I probably should have said that it was within normal operating range. I had the 203* DS tstat, and I see the gauge get about 3/4 up the gauge, and the t stat will open and it will fall below 1/4 pretty fast, so I know it's working well.

As far as the fan, I wasnt sure, the motor was screaming so loud I couldn't hear it if it was running, but I know those fans can get loud as hell too. Maybe a clutch going bad...

Water pump is original AFAIK, I've owned the truck for 50,000 and I've never replaced it, even after the full rebuild, I put on a new o ring and reinstalled. All the fins looked good and new when I reinstalled it.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
The reason I asked about the pump is if anyone douched it with rtv.

Does your eot match your outside temp after sitting overnight.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I asked about the pump is if anyone douched it with rtv.

Does your eot match your outside temp after sitting overnight.
Just checked, truck has sat for 36 hours and ambient temp is 48*, EOT sensor is 52.7*.

Just installed a new motorcraft EOT sensor and harness about 6 months ago

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
has anything ever been done to the oil cooler maybe it is partially plugged if the heat can not transfer from the oil to the coolant then the coolant would not increase.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
has anything ever been done to the oil cooler maybe it is partially plugged if the heat can not transfer from the oil to the coolant then the coolant would not increase.
Brand new motor craft oil cooler when the engine was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago. I was worried about that first, but it can't be bad already?

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
Do you still have the oem radiator? The stock coolant gauge sucks and it’s more of an idiot light. While towing my fan comes on and you can definitely hear it.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Probably not but Just spitballing ideas. That is one thing I don't like bout these trucks is they don't have a coolant temp for the computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
And like has been said the gauge on these trucks is very inaccurate. I would be checking and making sure I had good coolant flow thru the hoses. It might be moving enough water to keep the sensor cool but not enough to cool the trucks oil.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Not sure if you have the stock steel B52 prop on there or the nylon 6.0 fan. I swap my trucks to the 6.0 fan and use the 7.3 clutch, direct bolt on. Stock pulls 8,000 CFM at full lock and 6.0 is 11,000 CFM as I recall. Radiator fins ever been cleaned? I can’t remember but someone on here experienced similar and they tow heavy lots (5er travel trailer), and as I recall I think they pulled their rad, degreased and cleaned the outside of it and that helped at lot with EOT temps. As I recall very similar issue pulling long hills EOT would go very high.
I’ll try and search here or PSA and see if I can find thread....
j

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you still have the oem radiator? The stock coolant gauge sucks and it’s more of an idiot light. While towing my fan comes on and you can definitely hear it.
Yeah, OEM radiator, had it flushed and cleaned when I rebuit the motor, all new hoses and stuff too. I'm driving home tomorrow, I'll definitely be listening for it.
Probably not but Just spitballing ideas. That is one thing I don't like bout these trucks is they don't have a coolant temp for the computer.

Yeah, I wonder how hard or if its worth putting a real gauge in.
And like has been said the gauge on these trucks is very inaccurate. I would be checking and making sure I had good coolant flow thru the hoses. It might be moving enough water to keep the sensor cool but not enough to cool the trucks oil.

How can you test coolant flow? Is there any way to test it?
Not sure if you have the stock steel B52 prop on there or the nylon 6.0 fan. I swap my trucks to the 6.0 fan and use the 7.3 clutch, direct bolt on. Stock pulls 8,000 CFM at full lock and 6.0 is 11,000 CFM as I recall. Radiator fins ever been cleaned? I can’t remember but someone on here experienced similar and they tow heavy lots (5er travel trailer), and as I recall I think they pulled their rad, degreased and cleaned the outside of it and that helped at lot with EOT temps. As I recall very similar issue pulling long hills EOT would go very high.
I’ll try and search here or PSA and see if I can find thread....
j
Stock fan and everything, probably original too. If the clutch is bad, I'm gonna buy a new one with the 6.0 fan.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just checked rock auto, $60 for a fan clutch and $60 for a motor craft 6.0 fan blade. Not a bad deal.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
Once you reached the top of the pass the fan should of been screaming even at lower rpms. You would of noticed it. I bet you could heat up the clutch with a heat gun and see if it locks up. I've never tried it be it should work.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recorded a short video on the way home. On a slight incline, just enough to maintain speed in OD with TC locked, EGTs sat at 1250 the whole time for about 7-8 miles straight. EOT was 240* right when I took this video, and I don't hear a Fan, does anybody else?

https://vimeo.com/308958721

The entire rest of the way home, flat ground, EOT was around 220* after 100 miles of flat ground.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
I didnt hear it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I typically used to hear mine pulling an uphill 5+ % grade, (with old B52 steel prop), with a load, no so much now with the 6.0 and might be that the fins are equally spaced unlike the steel one. When ever I’ve tried to rotate my fans the clutch is pretty stiff and provides a fair amount of resistance. Like there is no way it would spin freely, it take some effort to rotate over. Perhaps your clutch is pooched and not allowing it to lock up or lock up fully.

Not sure what ambient air temps were on the video but that would have an impact too as it might have been cool enough with enough air flow over the clutch to only partially lock it up. Not really sure how you’d test the fluid lock up as it too close to the radiator for a heat gun.... or maybe it might work from the front side pointed through rad onto Center clutch hub at idle....
j

·
CO-PS
9 Posts
Lt. Dan / JCart,

I don't want to hijack the post here but found some of the information really interesting / helpful. I wanted to hit you guys with a quick follow up.

I have a 2011 6.7L F350 with full delete and Mini-Max tuner. I also have a large toy-hauler, 28' and fully loaded runs ~16K++lbs. I've had a similar high-temp situation pulling in the Colorado mountains with a couple of slight differences. On flat ground even in the heat of summer I'll run EOT & ECT at 203 - 210. When I hit the steep grades I'll see EOT jump quickly up into the upper 230's but it has never gone higher than 245. The biggest difference from Lt. Dan is my ECT has always been 1-5deg of EOT. As soon as I hit the top of the hills and start down the temps drop back down to normal range.

Although I have the Mini-Max which gives me an accurate ECT reading I do not have an EGT sensor.

I've been told that seeing temp ET (O or C) up to 245 is NOT an issue but I don't necessarily like seeing it go that high. I've been considering ways to control the temps a little better but wasn't sure the best way to go. Adding an oil-cooler was definitly one option but reading the note from JCart made me think that swapping that fan blade and/or clutch (6.0 fan & 7.3 clutch) might be an easier first step.

1st question - I'd love to hear what you guys think about different improved cooling options. Sounds like the fan/clutch swap is pretty straight forward - "bolt on" but again I'm not an expert so I'd welcome input from the forum.

2nd question - The Mini-Max does allow for the addition of an EGT sensor(s). You can actually put 2 in if you'd like. One would be up in the engine and the other possibility is down on the exhaust pipe. Is there a big advantage of one over the other? Is one easier to install vs. the other?

Lt.Dan - if you move forward with the clutch and fan I'd love to hear how it goes and what type of results you see......good luck getting your rig running nice and cool again.

I'm open to any other input or suggestions this group might have, thank you all in advance for the input.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cant really compare a 6.7 to what's being talked about here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts