Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Building Farmboy Monster
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a pcm out of a auto 00 sd fit an 00 excursion auto?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
IIRC ALL Excursion are California. They all use the Glow module not the relay.

But other than what what actual mechanical changes make one of these California versus regualr. Always wondered that. None have the cat converter so thats not an issue. They all seem to have the same sensors etc. Other than the glow plug what else is actually different? I had thought its was the PCM itself that had changes but if what it controls is no different then........

I know the 7.3 x has the worst tranny shift strategy of any damn vehicle I have ever driven. My PCM when I bought it had the latest flash from ford IIRC dated 2009 was not listed on any of the sheets that list the revisions. The OD is the worst shift. When you needed it you have put way way to much throttle in to get it to down shift and then when you finally do give it enough you have to back off to allow the convert to lock immediately. Someone was smoking wacky weed when they created that damn thing.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
See I did not know that. So, I did some checking and it appears that all Xs after 200o had the GPCM. Before that it was only cal models that had it. Now I am not sure if then all after 2000 were also Cal models.

SO OK GPCM but other than that what makes a Calif model any different other than its a allowed to be sold in CAlif model. You woudl have thought it would have had to have a Cat converter but it didn't. The only other thing I can think of is that its the PCM itself and its flash. What I am wondering is why coudl you not use same a PMT1 PCM?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't know on a 7.3L, but I can tell you a PCM from 04 F350 6.0 will work in a 05 X 6.0(because the 05 X's have 03-04 PCM's), Starts runs and drives great. The theft light will flash for a few minutes then go out. I tried a 03 6.0 PCM aswell, it starts runs and drives great, but the Tow/haul light won't work because the 03's had the tow/haul light in the gear selector handle.

Sorry I could help on the 7.3.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That does bring up a good point. I know changes were made in the X for 7.3 from 01 to 02-03 models. I wonder what dif there is between a 00-01 X and super duties with the PMT1 or any of the SD. It seems these offer better trans shifting compared to the X's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts