Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey G & G's,

Have a buddy of mine that I want to get a chip for, thing is can not access his PCM code right now, would it be linked from the VIN? I.e., if I phoned the dealership with VIN would they be able to get me the PCM code? Do I have to pull the PCM out to get the code off it? Can I get it with a Superchips code reader? It's an F350 03 SD 7.3 Litre ZF-6 CC dually...with 4:10's and he put on a ball buster turbo, MBRP single and AFE intake. Uses it for work aluminum flat deck, tows to max GVW and also pulls various light to no loads with it. Thinking TW files looking for max tow, light tow, mileage and race files any suggestions would be great.....

Thanks,

jrc

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
some pcms can be read with a mirror etc..
some have a tag . there were more useful instructions on the use of the mirror etc possibly on dp~tuner's site or elsewher i forget where though.

but my advice is
i would not inform the dealer of anything pertaining to a pcm.
i would possibly ask to go get a "paper" he left in the truck
and have a look then.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Here's a link to some quick instructions on where to locate the PCM code.

How to find your PCM "Box" Code

A Superchips programmer might be able to provide the information under a diagnostics or utility menu, although I couldn't say for sure.

Tony will be able to get you fixed up with a really nice set of files. You won't be disappointed. :D

Good luck.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Yes you can get the PCM code through your vin #.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hey G & G's,

Have a buddy of mine that I want to get a chip for, thing is can not access his PCM code right now, would it be linked from the VIN? I.e., if I phoned the dealership with VIN would they be able to get me the PCM code? Do I have to pull the PCM out to get the code off it? Can I get it with a Superchips code reader? It's an F350 03 SD 7.3 Litre ZF-6 CC dually...with 4:10's and he put on a ball buster turbo, MBRP single and AFE intake. Uses it for work aluminum flat deck, tows to max GVW and also pulls various light to no loads with it. Thinking TW files looking for max tow, light tow, mileage and race files any suggestions would be great.....

Thanks,

jrc
To install the chip you'll need to pull the PCM anyway, but you can pull the black plastic housing off the PCM from inside underneath the dash. to find the PCM code. If it has never been chipped there will be a cover over the J3 port with a sticker. The 3 letters and 1 number on the PCM is the calibration code.

Easiest way to get it is this- Its either going to be a federal PCM code of AEB#, or a California coded PCM of ZRE#. For Cali. you will have 1 glow plug relay and a silver controller box with heat fins for the glow plugs. Fed's have 2 brown relays for the Glow plugs.

Check it out and see which one he has. Tell your tuner; they'll know what code to use on the chip.

Diane

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Good info right there.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
not always. My e99 has an 01 pcm in it. Pull the cover off and look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts