Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first question, When I bought my truck i didnt get the OBD plug in tuner with it. Can I get it flashed or put back to stock. Dealer says no you have to purchase a new one.

Now for the big one. Were or who do i get a long block from? Ive been lookin on line and calling arround and they range from $3100 to $5800. For that price I think I could almost have it done myself but i wouldnt get a warnty or, just fess up $7000 and get a drop in.

Pros and cons here, lets hear them.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
First, don't tell them you have a tuner program on it. Tell them it doesn't feel right to you and you would gladly pay for the reflash to the pcm.

Second, you can find a great deal on this and other forums from guys who are parting out trucks or have a spare they don't want anymore. You will always get a warranty on machine work from a quality shop. If you assemble it wrong then you know the outcome of that. I personally don't know of anyone on here who has paid more than probably 750-1000 for a good long block. I see you have an 03 truck so a word to the wise is that if you are looking to make power with your new engine, find one that has forged internals. You have pmr's right now and they don't have a very good reputation for liking power.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
First, don't tell them you have a tuner program on it. Tell them it doesn't feel right to you and you would gladly pay for the reflash to the pcm.

Second, you can find a great deal on this and other forums from guys who are parting out trucks or have a spare they don't want anymore. You will always get a warranty on machine work from a quality shop. If you assemble it wrong then you know the outcome of that. I personally don't know of anyone on here who has paid more than probably 750-1000 for a good long block. I see you have an 03 truck so a word to the wise is that if you are looking to make power with your new engine, find one that has forged internals. You have pmr's right now and they don't have a very good reputation for liking power.
where are you buying your motors at?? if I could find a long block with a warranty for under a 1,000 id buy up the market..the going rate for a short block is around 3,000.. a few of our sponsors here sell long blocks and short blocks..spend some time with them asking questions to find the one that you feel good about..no matter what sponsor you go with on this site..rest a sure you will be treated right...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
He meant a good rebuildable core I would think.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
got ya...that would mean a good block in my book and i believe the OP has that already..short block is everything but the add on's.. long block is a motor ready to drop in..the price the OP posted are new rebuilt prices..I assumed that's what he is looking for so he can have the warranty..other wise he would just rebuild his block..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a reworkable core if I want to go that rout. I was looking at a reman long block. I looked on line and found a few that wont completely break the bank but I have learned you get what you pay for. A question was asked a while back about the Ebay engines from TIDEWATER ENGINES. Has or dose anyone know anything about them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for the record, Im not lookin to make lots of power here. I dont realy care about forged, PMR, 30lbs of boost, chips or moded IDM's. I just want a good running truck.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Hey Red what do you want for that long block? I am looking for one to start a fresh build with so when it's done I can jsut do a swap out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts