Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email stating that due to sales volume I need to give PayPal my SS/tax ID number so they can send me a 1099.
I know a lot of guys here use PayPal, has anyone else seen this or had to do this?
The email came from what appears to be a legit PayPal email, but the link they sent me is this: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/IRS6050W and I have not seen a PayPal site begin with cms.
When I log into my actual PayPal account I cannot find anything that has anything to do with a tax ID or ss number or 1099.

I am waiting for further action from them to make sure it's 100% legit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Jim I have never gotten anything like that.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
actually its not a scam...

they sent us out several emails at the beginning of the year about this and we would get reminders about it when we would log into paypal at the begining of the year... plus now that i remember i did receive emails towards the end of 1010 about this...

if you do over 200 transactions and over 20k with them a year they are now liable to 1099 you according to the law....

now that specific email may not be from them but they will need your federal ID number at the end of the year if you wish to continue to use paypal as a payment option if you meet those 2 criteria above

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually its not a scam...

they sent us out several emails at the beginning of the year about this and we would get reminders about it when we would log into paypal at the begining of the year... plus now that i remember i did receive emails towards the end of 1010 about this...

if you do over 200 transactions and over 20k with them a year they are now liable to 1099 you according to the law....

now that specific email may not be from them but they will need your federal ID number at the end of the year if you wish to continue to use paypal as a payment option if you meet those 2 criteria above
I don't like responding to emails that someone sends to me asking for my ss number.
Do you have any tips how to go about following up with this?
What are you going to do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't like responding to emails that someone sends to me asking for my ss number.
Do you have any tips how to go about following up with this?
What are you going to do?

Thanks.
they can take the info over the phone...

i have yet to send them my info yet but from what i understand if you meet the criteria and do not give them the info they will possibly hold any funds in the account until you do so or possibly delete the account

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Yea I got a 1099 today

1 - 15 of 15 Posts