Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys has anybody used these factory pass thru wires on a 2011 superduty 6.7? Or does anybody know what gauge wire they are? I have seen on some forums guys are saying the wire gauge is not be enough to run the Number 1&2 up fitter switch that is 25amps. I don't think for a second FORD would do something like that. Thanks Craig

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't think they would either. If the switches are rated for the amps they say they are, I'm sure the wire gauge is sufficient. I haven't researched it yet though, (Looked at the wires or anything. Can't think of what I'd want to hook up to it.....)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wire harness for the up fitter switches is under the dash, just above the parking brake. (drivers side) The pass thru wires are in the loom of wires for the PTO RPM's and these wires go from the cabin pass thru the fire wall out behind the fuse panel under the hood on the drivers side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys has anybody used these factory pass thru wires on a 2011 superduty 6.7? Or does anybody know what gauge wire they are? I have seen on some forums guys are saying the wire gauge is not be enough to run the Number 1&2 up fitter switch that is 25amps. I don't think for a second FORD would do something like that. Thanks Craig
I have used the pass throughs. I do not believe any of these wires are bigger than 16 gauge. The upfitter switches are rated at 25 amps for positions 1 & 2, 10A at position 3 and 15A at upfitter switch 4.

Since these upfitters have relays, you will find that the output wires of the relay (under the driver's side dash above the PTO/pass through location) are sized according to load expected on the switch. Upfitter 1 wire is yellow, 2 is green/brown, 3 is violet/green and 4 is brown.

Depending on wire run length, if you intend on running something that draws anywhere near the 25 amps, I would just used the upfitter relay to trigger another relay that can carry the higher load. I have had great success with Hella's relays (HELLA H84708001 280 Weatherproof Relay Connector with 12" Leads & the mating HELLA H41410081 Weatherproof 20/40 Amp SPDT 280 Footprint Mini Relay with Bracket).

One of my projects involved silencing the backup alarm I have on my truck. Another was to put strobes on it.

Here are some pictures of the wires:

This is a picture of the pass throughs before I used them. They are located behind the power distribution box on the driver's side:

This is a wider view of them:

This is a picture of the wire bunder under the dash on the driver's side. My bundle included the wires needed for the PTO option

I am just about to start a salt box installation and these wires are part of a set that I ran down to the back of the truck.

One thing you want to keep in mind is that these trucks for the most part can be serviced with the cab on. If the cab needs to come off, you should make sure your connections are all run down the truck frame rail and to stay off of the cab. I wish Ford would run a conduit down each side of the truck frames to make this job easier.

·
oconnors17
193 Posts
I use three of the four upfitter switches in my 05 and they work asome if you hock them up correctly. My #1 switch runs my transfertank elec. motor pump. so no one can steel fuel from me when my trucks parked.. #2 Runs my Water meth system. #3 runs LED light bar for plowing snow.. Love my switches

·
Always Smooth
225 Posts
If the key is in the ACC position will the upfitter switches work?

Is there any way (easily) to make it so one (or more) of the upfitter switches are always hot, meaning you don't need the key in the RUN (or ACC) position to make them work?

·
Always Smooth
225 Posts
I don't know about making one always hot, but if the key is in the ACC position they do work.
Cool, thanks.

I'm going to install a ham radio, would be nice to be able to turn it on without needing the key to be in. The upfitter switches make for a nicer install, but I don't mind running wires from the battery into the cab either. That's how I've done it before. We'll see.

·
Always Smooth
225 Posts
Does anyone know if all the upfitter switches are the same? I have seen them listed as 05+ and also as 05-07, 08-10, and 11-12?
Double check some photos of the interiors as well as mounting locations of the relays. For the 11-12s they switches mount to the right of the trailer brake controller. For the 06-07s (and maybe 05s?) the switches mount to the left of the brake controller. The plastic molding around the switches has 90 degree corners on the side where it meets the TBC and rounded corners on the opposite, so there's at least one difference there.

The relays mount in a different location, and might be different as well. Same with the wire harness plug, might not be the same.

Now, could it be possible to just mount 11-12 switches in an 06-07, if you just installed it upside down? Perhaps...

Just get the right ones for your year model.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
can you do a high idle mod on these trucks like the 6.4? thats a nice deal when your out plowing snow or setting in the heat and need some good ac.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool, thanks.

I'm going to install a ham radio, would be nice to be able to turn it on without needing the key to be in. The upfitter switches make for a nicer install, but I don't mind running wires from the battery into the cab either. That's how I've done it before. We'll see.
The problem there is eventually you have so many wires going directly to the battery that it becomes a bit of a mess and also makes you feel like it can't be right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
May be a dumb??

Looking at photos picture of the pass throughs wires before you used them. They are located behind the power distribution box on the driver's side.

There are four wires four switches so I assume switches are
already grounded back at switches location in truck and that the four wires in photos are hot

·
Always Smooth
225 Posts
The problem there is eventually you have so many wires going directly to the battery that it becomes a bit of a mess and also makes you feel like it can't be right.
Unless its the only item being wired directly to the battery.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
how do you gte the panel off under the steering wheel to get to the 4 up lifter wires? I dont want to bust it off! i do not see any screws holding it on.

·
Registered
817 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.