Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

parking brake scuffing

894 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  justintimemoto 
#1 ·
i had to do a inner axle seal in my truck the other day, and during the process of takeing the rotor off which i had to use a sledge hammer to get it off, the backing plate was rotted out so the parking brake everything had to be repalced. so i bought new backing plate from car quest new parking brake pads, new hardware new pads and rotor. so i put my truck back together today and not there is a scuffing sound when the truck is moving. so i took the rotor back off to see where if it was rubbing on the dust plate looked like there was a spot so i grounded it down a little i also have my parking brake set on teh lowest setting so its not even hitting the drum. the sliders are not rubbing on anything im now lost i spent all day on this and made no bit of progress

#3 ·
i tried it w the parking brake on it still does it im stumped i spun the hub while i did not have the torin bar in a spun free as can be im going to try it tomorrow with the caliper off and if it still does it w that off ill take the e brake pads off and if it still does it im going to be :mad::mad::mad::bsflag:

#7 ·
I have a similar problem with new rear rotors and park brake shoes on a 2003 Explorer. It makes the scuffing noise even when there's no calipers even attached on the rotor (on my lift). And I can back off the park brake shoes to the point it won't even stop the wheel turning in drive at idle on a lift, and it still makes the rubbing noise. So I know it's not the parking shoes adjusted too tight. Out-of-round new drum/shoes? Another post at a different group http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford/browse_thread/thread/28a86e61b6990d96/e9c31ba593becd56?hl=en&q=ford+explorer+%22parking+brake%22+shoes#e9c31ba593becd56 says that there's a known problem with the drum part of the rear rotor being cut too deep on some aftermarket rotors, allowing the drum to rub on the backing plate. (Though he says you can't see the rub marks on the backing plate; I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.) I will measure the depth of my old original Ford drums and compare it to the depth of the new aftermarket drums. Another way to investigate may be to put a washer or two on each wheel stud before I put the rotor on; this should keep the drum/rotor from hitting the backing plate if that's the problem. If it IS the problem, I'm not sure what I'll do, since there's no way I'm going to permanently drive the vehicle with washers between the hub and the rotor. Maybe take the rotors back to the NAPA store.

#9 ·
Bingo! (for my Explorer) and good call lenzhotrod. Found about 6" of shiny backing plate at the bottom of both sides, inside the backing plate groove that the very back of the drum runs in. Also found that the new aftermarket drum/rotor was about 0.020" deeper than the original Ford piece, meaning that the back rim of the drum is that much closer to the backing plate. I simply took a very blunted chisel and a hammer and beat on the backing plate at the shiny area, bending it back in towards the center of the car. (I probably could've just whacked on the backing plate anywhere at the bottom, not necessarily in its groove.) Seems to have done the trick. No more noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.