Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When operating the foot parking brake is it supposed to rachet when gradually applying it? Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have no idea because I just mash it really hard whenever I put it on. I'll try to remember to apply it slow and see what happens. I know my old Jeep would ratchet, but that was a hand brake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All cables have been replaced,all brake components replaced or rebuilt but park brake not releasing properly,put it down to crap aftermarket cables. Shop says that the foot control should rachet but l tried another F250 and everyone here says it does not so l going with that. What cables are the best besides genuine? It seems the genuine are not available anymore:(

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I didn't have good luck with aftermarket cables. The housing covers would split and eventually let water, etc in and cause corrosion with binding. I went back to the factory Ford cables (which were actually about the same price online) and had no more problems. Cheers!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
All cables have been replaced,all brake components replaced or rebuilt but park brake not releasing properly,put it down to crap aftermarket cables. Shop says that the foot control should rachet but l tried another F250 and everyone here says it does not so l going with that. What cables are the best besides genuine? It seems the genuine are not available anymore:(
Dont feel bad. My 97 has all new FORD cables from the pedal to drums and all new brakes. My E-brake pedal goes right to the floor and I can push the truck by hand:doh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are the genuine Ford cables available from and part numbers? Cheers.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I tend to get all my factory parts from Tousley. My local dealer (in Bakersfield) is like 115% of list price on everything! I will only go there if it's an absolute emergency, and even then I still don't like giving them the business (ripoffs). Cheers!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Dont feel bad. My 97 has all new FORD cables from the pedal to drums and all new brakes. My E-brake pedal goes right to the floor and I can push the truck by hand:doh:
That's when I know it's time to adjust the rear shoes(manually).

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's when I know it's time to adjust the rear shoes(manually).
I'd do what this fella says. 5 minuets of your time and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Put a dab of white-out or white paint on the cable innard that goes into the cable-housing up at the front. Do the same with the innard of each of the two rear cables, right at the spot where they go into the housings back at the "splitter" thingy. Then hit the pedal. The mark on the front cable should no longer be visible (it should be inside the housing), and the two marks on the rear cables should be "out" further, and they should both move by the same amount. Observing where/how the marks move (or don't) should give you some idea what the cables are doing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts