Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering who all on here is a medic and for how long ..I've been a firefighter and a basic emt for a few years and I'm currently 7 months into a 12 month medic program....... sometimes I wonder what the heck ive got myself into but on the other hand I love what I do. so please share oh and any advise is welcome

·
Registered
76 Posts
im a cna and been one for 8 years and love it im a basic and was a brush hog for 3 years and all i have to say hard work = great rewards and pluse a biger pay check for fun stuff

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Not a paramedic, but I'm in the process of becoming a volunteer firefighter for the local fire deptment and an EMT-B. So any advice you can give me seeing that you already are? Not trying to hi-jack your thread on the first reply LOL

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
:whs: im in high school right now and if football isn't the thing then i want to become a firefighter/ems. any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Kilroy was here
128 Posts
I did it for five years.

If your going to be a paramedic, do it while your young and in shape. You should be able to make decent money as a paramedic as opposed to an EMT-B, but you may find that your lower back hurts after a few years...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
EMT for 18 years and a Paramedic for the last 14 years of that - and counting.

I got out of the business on a full time basis a couple of years ago and volunteer for calls now. I also teach EMT classes. Although I never had a legal issue in my career I always despised having the feeling of a lawyer looking over my shoulder 24/7.

·
Fire junkie
536 Posts
Vol. FF / EMT-I for almost 22 yrs now, last 14 have been as a prof. F.F. Love it would not have changed anything, dito on the staying in shape as my lower back hursts alot somedays. Best advice I can think of is, if you are looking at this as a job, look into getting on with a paid FD, alot of the ambulance companys are priviate (i.e. for profit:() so them makeing money over you comes first, with a paid FD you have usually have pretty good job security, good benifits and waayyy better pay and retirement is usually alot better, I spent 7 yrs with a private ambulace service before I made it into the FD as on now I know that I make more than the highest paid medic for the company that provides service in our area

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input guys .....to any guys just starting in the fire/ems world its the hardest job youll ever love ,if getting on a vol. dept is an option do it you can get a feel for the job see if its really what you want to do as a career . ,and above all if this is really what you want to do dont half ass it,train like your life depends on it cause it does, do what you are told without complaining ...........not to sound like a know it all ive done this for only 3 years and still have a lot to learn ....................just an fyi medic school is a b#&ch in case your wondering

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
I did it for five years.

If your going to be a paramedic, do it while your young and in shape. You should be able to make decent money as a paramedic as opposed to an EMT-B, but you may find that your lower back hurts after a few years...
EMT for 18 years and a Paramedic for the last 14 years of that - and counting.

I got out of the business on a full time basis a couple of years ago and volunteer for calls now. I also teach EMT classes. Although I never had a legal issue in my career I always despised having the feeling of a lawyer looking over my shoulder 24/7.
right on the money here guys. FF/EMT her for the last 12 years. EMT I for the last 2. Going paramedic when the state creates a brdge course

·
Registered
845 Posts
Been a paid FF/PM for almost 29 years, Here in South Florida it's almost impossable to get hired if you're not a certified FF/PM. Pay and benefits are pretty good though.

·
Precision Planting Dealer
670 Posts
im an unofficial vol. ff should be an official vol. ff in a few days when i turn 18 and im in class to be a first responder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts