Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wanting to paint the steps for my truck black. i am currently painting the exhaust tip black and have scuffed it with 220 to start and then 320 to take out major gashes from the 220.
question is...what kind of paint is suggested for the steps? they will only be temp till i get some $$$ for some amp steps. powder coating is an option but its only temp so i dont wanna drop alot of coin on it.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

this is the tip so far...im using the duplicolor engine paint for high heat on the exhaust tip.

no banks remarks! they make a good looking product...even though its a bit pricy.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,066 Posts
All I did was scuff my exhaust with a red scotch brite pad, cleaned it with brake cleaner and shot it with high heat black. That was in oct of last year and it still looks good today when I washed the truck. $.02

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I did was scuff my exhaust with a red scotch brite pad, cleaned it with brake cleaner and shot it with high heat black. That was in oct of last year and it still looks good today when I washed the truck. $.02

i had alot of pitting and nasty gashes from off-roading that i had to sand down a bit.
although i know it'll get thrashed in due time i wanted to see how good i can get it on a professional level

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If the steps don't have major scratchs: Scuff with red scotch bright, be sure its scuffed up well. Spray with Self etch primer. Then paint, then clear.

If you have major scratchs, try to get most of them out before hitting with self etch, then spray self etch then a Primer Surfacer(2K) and block it out, before paint, then clear.

Hit it with wax and grease remover also, before spraying anything on it, between each step. It will insure nothing messes with the adhesion.

·
Was PSD0389
2,598 Posts
When I painted the chrome mirrors and windshield trim on my OBS I first sanded with 150 then went to 220 then 400. All I used was dupli color primer, paint then clear and it held up fine, and still does. I would suggest doing some clear over the paint as well. For paint Id suggest dupli color. I really like the paint

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the steps don't have major scratchs: Scuff with red scotch bright, be sure its scuffed up well. Spray with Self etch primer. Then paint, then clear.

If you have major scratchs, try to get most of them out before hitting with self etch, then spray self etch then a Primer Surfacer(2K) and block it out, before paint, then clear.

Hit it with wax and grease remover also, before spraying anything on it, between each step. It will insure nothing messes with the adhesion.

its got some pretty deep scratches and sharp knicks on it so ill go over it with a sander and get it all down

When I painted the chrome mirrors and windshield trim on my OBS I first sanded with 150 then went to 220 then 400. All I used was dupli color primer, paint then clear and it held up fine, and still does. I would suggest doing some clear over the paint as well. For paint Id suggest dupli color. I really like the paint

yeah, im using the dupli color as well...the steps will only be temporary but it would be nice if they can wthstand some nasty abuse (concrete, rocks, mud)

thanks guys

·
Was PSD0389
2,598 Posts
Mine has held up rocks, branches wipping the windshield trim, etc. I did three coats of clear over it

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jesus, mary and joseph!!!
what a PITA!!! im guessing the tip was easy since its just polished to a chrome finish being that its stainless but the side steps were chrome dipped! took me almost 2 hours to get it all scuffed up...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.