Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok paint people...how do I properly prepare chrome bumpers to paint them? I've been told it's possible so I need some help. Same with the chrome plastic grill. Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
im guess sand it with a fine sand paper then wet sand it

·
Drink til she's cute
4,873 Posts
I hit it with 60 grit first. Come back with 400 grit to smooth it all out.

Use a self etching primer and your ready for paint. The better you sand, the better the job. Take your time with the sanding..do it right.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would assume do all sanding by hand (i.e. no belt sanders lol?)

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Just did my wheels and all I did was use a heavy wire wheel on an angle grider, then hit them with some O'riellys self etching primer (1can) and wheel black paint (1can) they turned out Nice!

·
Registered
457 Posts
the main thing u need to do is make a place for the paint to stick to. thats why u sand it to form little groves but if u go with to low of a grit u will see it threw your paint. i wouldnt go lower then 220

·
Registered
229 Posts
220 isnt gonna get you anywhere , because chrome is hardened and i mean its hard ..... 220 will only get you fine scratches in the chrome. Use 80 grit with a DA .... trust me after you make a few passes you will realise you cant hurt the chrome. Then after you scuff , get some self etching primer .... then your ready for color ..... paint like normal

·
Where fools fear to tread
313 Posts
D.A. stands for Dual Action.
The disc rotates and oscillates at the same time to prevent creating sanding patterns in the material that you are sanding.
If the primer you use has some filling capabilities then you don't have to worry anyway.
Don't use a belt sander. They are way too aggressive for something like this. They are made to remove a lot of material quickly.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
:whs:
a d.a will really aid the process as long as you have a well enough idea of what your doing, i would start with 36 grit, then 80, prime it. sand it with 180, prime again, 220 then paint.

for the chrome grille, its plastic, do it by hand. skip the 36 grit, start with 80 and do the same thing.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just have them sand blasted. Blast them good, epoxy primer or some type of etch primer, coat or two of primer surfacer then paint. After you spend the money in sand papers and time DA'ing the crap out of them, it will be much cheaper and you will never have a problem.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
if i did it again i would have sand blasted mine. my body shop did a rough sand, medium, light, then adhesion promoter (i think it was some kind of epoxy, then primer, then paint etc... they have held up really well, but road salt left some nick's in the bumper after about 300 miles of driving in the snow. i had it retouched and its good as new, but if you live in harsh winter area's, blast it and be done.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is there a certain type of primer i should use?

·
Registered
574 Posts
PPG makes a good epoxie primer called DPLF. Use that after you blast them you'll never have an adhesion problem. Most 2k primer will work though. Just make sure you can use it on bare metal without having to etch them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Chrome plating is only around .0001" thick....you'll be hitting the Nickel underneath it in no time. I would'nt go hog wild on the sanding, just enough to "rough" the surface. Remember to wash with hot water and soap to remove any organic contaminates. Let it dry off good before you paint. Its important to remove organic and residual contaminates for proper adhesion. If you don't have good adhesion, the paint won't last long at all. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts