Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my grille, side vents, and bumpers in to get painted body color yesterday. My truck also came with the chrome top covers on the side view mirrors, which I wanted to paint as well but I cant figure out how they come off. I tried to pry on them a bit with a small screwdriver but no give. Any ideas?

Also anyone know how to get the ford emblem off the tailgate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
you have to take the mirrors out to get to the bolts for the top cover....they are held in by screws.

as for the 08 emblem on the tailgate....warm it up with a heat gun ( not too much ) and use a high strength fishing line between the emblem and the truck....it's just doube sided taped on.

Chad

·
Registered
323 Posts
The emblem on our tail gates arent like the older trucks, Im pretty sure the emblems in the center of our tail gates are screwed or bolted on from the inside. Take the access cover off the inside of the tailgate. Also what color is your truck... Sounds like itll look pretty good. I really want to get my door handles and tail gate handle color matched black... And something done with the plastic at the base of the windshield, just like darken it up. I just got black over lays for my emblems from a fellow member for my blue ford emblems, they are black with chrome ford, I think they look great!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
no they're not bolted on, I have a 2008 tailgate on mine. they are just double sided taped on.

Chad

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes the emblem on the rear to held on with double sided tape. and to get the covers off the mirrors, you need to get point the mirror down to get a gap at the top and get a screw driver or two and there are 2 tabs that hold it in place. once you get those tabs unsnapped, use another flat tip screw driver to actually pull the cover itself off because it also has double sided tape under it.

also another suggestion is to buy the cover taps from ford that are paintable and get the bumpers sand blasted to get the chrome off before the paint. its hard for paint to bond to slick chrome no matter how much you sand it. it may last 5 years or 5 weeks but eventually it will peel off more then likely, trust me because I have been there and done that. i actually pulled my chrome bumpers off and took them to get powdercoated white. They charged me $100 for the front and $60 for the rear and I know those will last for a long time. also I had my side vents painted by a the best painter in town and he warned for about the paint on chrome and I told him to just do it. well needless to say that it didnt last, so I used a blasting cabinet and blasted the chrome off the side vents and I actually had the vents smoothed out that time. anyways my point is that if possible, not to paint over chrome. I bought a fx4 grille from ford already painted for $260 and the mirror caps paintable were like $60 for the pair for ford. The emblem is fine to paint over though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The emblem on our tail gates arent like the older trucks, Im pretty sure the emblems in the center of our tail gates are screwed or bolted on from the inside. Take the access cover off the inside of the tailgate. Also what color is your truck... Sounds like itll look pretty good. I really want to get my door handles and tail gate handle color matched black... And something done with the plastic at the base of the windshield, just like darken it up. I just got black over lays for my emblems from a fellow member for my blue ford emblems, they are black with chrome ford, I think they look great!
Link to the over lays for the emblems?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I stand corrected. Seems weird theyd be double side taped and indented into the tail gate like that.

Pms sent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts