Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 weeks ago I took off my hot side intercooler tube to paint it. I taped off the ends where the boots go over to make sure the paint wouldn't effect them. Well after I put it back on, the stock boots blew off on me anytime I went over 5 psi boost. That got old really fast so I ordered the RiffRaff boots and for 2 weeks, they stayed on fine.

On the way home from work the other day, some kid in a civic tried racing me and I couldn't say no. Well, after 10 seconds of 20+ psi boost I hear that dreadful POP and WHOOOSHHH yet again. I'm really getting pissed off at this point. I've been careful not to over-tighten the clamps as I don't want to break them, but I'm really tempted to go out there and tighten them as tight as I possibly can because I'm tired of this happening. I don't want to void my warranty with a CCV reroute. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Its pretty hard to break those clamps. Take and air rachet to those bitches and suck um down

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
:whs:

Tighten the shiiiiit out of them.

Try a small shot of hairspray around the pipe before you slip it on.

·
Strok'in PA
73 Posts
I kept blowing mine after getting tuned/injectors/turbo, I ended up double clamping the bitches and it worked fine with me hitting 40psi now. I got dieselsite boots to put on but haven't yet.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
I never had any luck with the hairspray, but you have to make sure you line up the grooves in the boot with the grooves in the pipe. If you don't, they will blow off everytime.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
How bout welding some wire around the edge of the pipes to give the clamp something to bite when it starts to slip off?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tightened them as much as I could and it got me to work this morning. I stayed under 10 psi the whole time. On the way home ill drive it harder and see what happens. 95powersmoker I like your idea but I dont know the first thing about welding. I thought about zip tying the pipe to the alternator or something that way when it tries to blow out it won't be able to move enough.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Take both pipes to a shop and flip em $20... Or find someone near you who has a welder and bring a 12 pack...

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Well I tightened them as much as I could and it got me to work this morning. I stayed under 10 psi the whole time. On the way home ill drive it harder and see what happens. 95powersmoker I like your idea but I dont know the first thing about welding. I thought about zip tying the pipe to the alternator or something that way when it tries to blow out it won't be able to move enough.
Are you aligning the grooves on the pipes? I've never had an issue, and I remove my pipes all the time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you aligning the grooves on the pipes? I've never had an issue, and I remove my pipes all the time.
What grooves are you talking about? I just have them shoved in as far as they can go

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
How tight are you getting them? I've had mine off multiple times and never had an issue, but I clean them with brakekleen and use the proper torque spec (actually under). Spec is 10 or 11 ft-lbs and I always did 9 ft-lbs because I was nervous about breaking the clamp.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm at the point where i dont care if I break the clamp. I just want them to stay on. I didn't check but they feel much more than 9 ft lbs.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
What grooves are you talking about? I just have them shoved in as far as they can go
First of all, remove everything, clean out all of it (clamps, boots, and even the pipe) very well with Dawn soap, and wait for it to dry out.

Now, if you look on the inside of the boots, you will find a little lip on one side. There is also a groove on the pipe that this lip fits into. You MUST make sure these are lined up before tightening down the clamps. It may seem like they are barely on there, but trust me, they won't go anywhere. Tighten them down as much as you can with one hand.

There is also a white line that matches up with the top portion of the part where you attach the pipe to the intercooler.

It'd be easier to show you, rather than explain to you. I could take a video if necessary.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
You must make sure everything is clean first, otherwise they will just slip off again because of the oil on the boots.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you could make a video that would be awesome but don't worry about it unless you're really bored lol. The part that gets me is the riffraff boots were brand new, never touched oil in their life. And still slipped off after 2 weeks

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Another vote for just tightening down the clamp, I've had mine blow off a couple of times but I just tighten it down till its bottomed out and its usually good, hair spray or another bead around the pipe should really do the trick for ya if you can't get the clamp to hold

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The clamps are misleading, the torque spec takes you past when the spring is fully compressed. If you're just using a 3/8 ratchet and going by feel, I can guarantee you aren't getting them tight enough.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts