Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways, i was thinking about buying and painting some. I have a white truck, so pics of white trucks would be preferred, possibly Crew Cabs.

And anyone have good tips for painting plastic. I painted my grill and thought i took all the necessary steps to get a good clean "factory look" but over time it's dulled up pretty good and just doesn't cut the mustard.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: Painted window vents/visers (pics please)

Ill try and get a better picture.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts

painted

unpainted

i'd go with painted kenny, its simple to do, i painted mine in my spare time at work laying on a trash can, get some 600 grit n smooth ur visors down, couple coats of sandable primer, sand primer with 1500 grit, 2 coats of paint, 2 coats clear, wet sand with 1500, 2 more coats of clear wet sand with 2000 then spray one last coat of clear

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i'd go with painted kenny, its simple to do, i painted mine in my spare time at work laying on a trash can, get some 600 grit n smooth ur visors down, couple coats of sandable primer, sand primer with 1500 grit, 2 coats of paint, 2 coats clear, wet sand with 1500, 2 more coats of clear wet sand with 2000 then spray one last coat of clear
I tried looking at the pics of your truck when you sent me the painted pic a while back but i couldn't get a good view of it. I couldn't picture them painted in my head and needed to see some pics.

Mooring Product: Im trying to do the same thing with my truck what you did with yours. Except i want to get an updated front and 08 side mirrors and keep them black w/ white tops.

Im trying to go for the de-chromed mod, and let it all be black or white. I just couldn't decide if i wanted the vents to be black or white.

Thanks guys.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I really want to do this on mine too, everyone I have seen looks great.

Did you have to use a paint for plastics or just any ole automotive paint?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
I really want to do this on mine too, everyone I have seen looks great.

Did you have to use a paint for plastics or just any ole automotive paint?
i used krylon fusion but white is a lil easier to match up, with yours i would use a good plastic primer of some sort and get duplicolor from autozone and get a few good coats of flawless paint then 2 clear, wet sand and another clear, its all up to you discretion

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here it is all did. I threw in a before and after pic just for comparison.:D

I sanded them with 600 grit, put two coats of DupliColor adhesive primer (helps w/ painting plastics), wet sand w/ 1000 grit, light coat of DupliColor Oxford White, wet sand 2000 grit, and 3 more coats of white with wet sand each layer.

Then i let cure over night, wet sand again 2000 grit, and then 2 coats of laquer, wet sand, and 2 more coats of laquer.

Might be overkill but i wanted it done good. The pics don't do it justice, the gloss up real good in the sun.

Before

After

1 - 7 of 7 Posts