Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well im going to repaint my truck soon because the paint is scratched and the clearcoat is coming off on the hood in a spot. Its been repainted before but they didn't do a good job on it at all. The paint scratches really easy. i can scratch it with my finger nail somewhat easily. I want to stay with the same color and wondering how i would go about doing that. Do i have to buy paint from ford or can i do it from somewhere else? What is the best paint and primer? And what should i take off the truck to paint off? mirrors, grille, bumpers etc. Do windows need to be taken off? What grit of sandpaper should i go down to? 320 grit? how many coats and should i get clearcoat or buy a paint with clearcoat in it? Thanks in advance

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I removed any part that can be removed. Bumpers, all mirrors, all weatherstrips, grill, rear window. When I painted mine. Go to your local parts store and buy paint and I think 320 is plenty to sand down to.....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I want to know too. The whole inquiring minds thingy. LOL

·
Registered
386 Posts
i wouldnt even sand the paint all the way off, just break the gloss and paint over it

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
really you can just sand the hole thing down with 800 then seal wherever you broke through the paint, then apply base/color to the sealed spots then clear the entire truck with a good 3 coats...alot of people do it diffrent ways..

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think the only parts i am going to go down to the steel on are the tiny dents where i am going to lay bondo very thin. deepest dent is probably 1/8" deep maybe just a hair more but not as deep as 1/4". Is it bad to lay bondo that thin?

And thanks for you input so far!

·
Registered
221 Posts
like zx800x said remove as much as possible, 800 would be good to sand it down with. wet sanding is a good idea. you can go to a paint shop and if its the same color as stock they can take your vin and match the color. prep work is almost the key part to make a good paint job. and at least three coats of clear. the windows shouldnt have to come out but it will make it easier in the long run. and as far as best paint and primer goes, you get what you pay for.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool. What do you think some of the best paint would be? Is Dupont any good? The truck has been repainted before. i hope to get really close to the color it is now because i think its a real nice color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts