Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking to get the interior of my truck black...was deciding if it was worth it to paint it my self...woundering if anyone has tried this, and how it has turned out, and what products are recommended...thanks

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
I'd look into a high quality dye before paint.

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
I did a Cadillac for my buddies shop a few years back . Went tan to black , used Bulldog adhesion promoter and SEM black in a spray can . Still looks factory after 4 years of Florida sunshine. The trick is in the prep and cleaning so it sticks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
revisiting this topic.....anyone have any experience with this stuff....i do not want to have a gloss paint job on my interior, i would like to be able to get a factory black look...any thoughts? this is going to become a winter project

·
Registered
109 Posts
Subscribed. I need to change tan door panels to dark grey or black

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
You can get the SEM paints in flat ,satin , or semi gloss colors so it looks factory .

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get the SEM paints in flat ,satin , or semi gloss colors so it looks factory .
yea i was looking at that, i see you suggested that earlier. I just want something that will have a factory look. I think im going to try out there flat black and see how it works. I have a spare uper dash to test it on so hopefully it will work.

also looks like the duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint may not be a bad option.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i went out and bought some duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint, along with the promoter, im going to try and get around to testing that out this week, also going to order a test run of the bull dog paint as well

·
Motorsports Performance
420 Posts
I did my whole interior in a satin spray paint n turned out awesome looks factory but good luck with it

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
Im not sure if I would use that duplicolor stuff.I bought some to do my panels & a buddy of mine is a painter told me to get better adhesion promoter. I thinkbi paid around 8-9 bucks for my can of promoter. My buddy told me to use a different brand and gave me the name but I can't remember what it is called now. I know it was around 20-22 bucks a can. If I see him this week I will let ya know. Btw be has done many interiors in paint and have all held up well. He said the same as everyone else has/will its all in the prep work & promotor

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not sure if I would use that duplicolor stuff.I bought some to do my panels & a buddy of mine is a painter told me to get better adhesion promoter. I thinkbi paid around 8-9 bucks for my can of promoter. My buddy told me to use a different brand and gave me the name but I can't remember what it is called now. I know it was around 20-22 bucks a can. If I see him this week I will let ya know. Btw be has done many interiors in paint and have all held up well. He said the same as everyone else has/will its all in the prep work & promotor
i definitley plan to take my time and get the proper materials, i figure i have a spare dash so i can test a few different options out. If you can find out the material i would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i ordered a gallon of the Color bond paint for interiors, i called and spoke with them today, and seemed real nice...lets hope thier product is equally as good....should be here by the weekend....hopefully il be able to test out some options early next week and get this project off the ground!

·
Motorsports Performance
420 Posts
Yea I can get some pics for you no problem give me a day n I'll have em up

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
WRITE UP

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I used some SEM interior paint/dye when I put in an 08 console and was very happy with the color match and the finish holds up great unless you gouge the plastic pretty good

Before

After

Also if you look the little pod on the lower dash is fiberglass and sprayed with the same stuff before mounting it and you can't tell a difference to the non touched factory plastics it is mounted too.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was looking at the SEM paints as well, the color bond product should be in monday, so tuesday il spray the test dash i have...as far as color goes im painting everything so all i need to do is just get the color im happy with and go from there...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well my color bond black paint came in last night, and i am going to test out both the color bond, and the Duplicolor....

The guy from colorbobd told me to try the simple prep and paint with out using the adhesion promoter as well.

Il post some information on the results of the testing when its completed

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yesterday i tested out the two differ products, the first was the duplicolor vinyl and interior paint, i thought i bought the flat black, but it seems to be very glossy, the second product i used was the color bond black. The color bond was applied with a gun, the duplicolor was applied with a spray can

duplicolor on the right, colorbond on the left

duplicolor left, colorbond right, and a strip of factory gray in the middle

close up of the color bond

1 - 20 of 21 Posts