Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,
I want to start by saying any help advice is much appreciated. My truck sat for three days before i tried starting it. When I did I wasn't thinking and just started cranking with out letting the glow plugs warm. As soon as I did it threw the P2291 code immediately. I changed the fuel filters since cleared the codes and tried to get it started again. The low pressure fuel pump is working it fills up the fuel filter bowl. There is no metal shavings in the bowl either. While starting the pressure starts at 100 gets up to 200 but never get to the high pressure it is supposed to have. I'm thinking it the HPFP has gone out there is 180k on this truck what do you guys think???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced HPFP and lift pump. No dice. Thinking it is air in the line. Going to try to bleed the air out Ill update when I get any results. It sucks to read posting without results. Ill be sure to follow up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replaced the HPFP and lift pump. Then bled 1/4 of tank of fuel getting the air bubbles out. Still no pressure building up. Checked the oil and there's fuel in the oil. So there is a failure somewhere in the fuel rail. When truck first failed to
start I was starting and immediately it threw the code. Made a popping noise. I'm going to pull the valve cover. Any input much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Help me out here . . . When a P2291 has been stored, it means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an insufficient degree of oil pressure needed to control the high-pressure fuel injection system, with the engine cranking. ... The PCM monitors high-pressure injection using one or more fuel pressure sensors.

Why are you replacing / messing with the fuel pump? Have you tested the pressure on the high pressure oil side?

Are you sure there is fuel in the oil? If so, it seems an O-ring on an injector is gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE... Pulled the passenger side valve cover diesel is just leaking in to the engine via the high pressure pump. When I turn the key KOEO diesel is pouring out, Can't see where the leak is coming one of the back two injectors. Going to work on it more tomorrow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To your question JAX the low pressure fuel pump wasn't getting up to the 8 PSI it wasn't building any pressure at all

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. Any idea whats wrong? P2291 no start, and l hear bubble in the fuel system. The car sat for few days and then it didnt start. Any hint what is the issue? I checked the fuel line after the fuel filter and the fuel has pressure there so I feel the issue is somewhere after that (under hood). Any hint?

UPDATE... Pulled the passenger side valve cover diesel is just leaking in to the engine via the high pressure pump. When I turn the key KOEO diesel is pouring out, Can't see where the leak is coming one of the back two injectors. Going to work on it more tomorrow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts