Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i used to get this code after couple of wot runs. never had bad warm starts but had ruff cold starts. after i got the truck warmed up it runs great till i gave it wot run and then it seemed to loose power. i could pull the truck over and shut it off and wait a min or so and start it up again and it would be just fine till a wot run. what do you guys think was wrong with the truck. i just sent the truck in the shop its getting all new injectors air dog 2 fuel system there redoing my heads and arp head studs with black onyx gaskets along with upgraded stc hpop fitting new upgraded oil cooler and blue fuel spring kit. the truck has already got a egr delete. should that solve the problem. i was thinking it might have been stiction in some of the injectors that threw the code and made the truck run in like a limp mode any help will be apreciated

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
with black onyx gaskets
don't you read any threads on here?

anyway a stiction issue wont chuck that code a hpop loss of pressure will but it looks like your having work done including a new STC so hopefully it fixed

can u still have them swap out those BO gaskets for OEM ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt get a new hpop because ive herd that when your hpop goes out then its just out and you get a no start. so i went with the upgraded stc fitting thinking maybe in high pressure wot runs its leaking there thus letting the pcm throw me into a limp mode.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
My dad's '03 is getting this code as well... HPOP leak some where.

And don't get BO gaskets!!! Mine blew again with only 5,000 miles on them... And they were installed correctly!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you have arp head studs

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Had new studs put in at the time of the gaskets... Heads were flat after the machine shop shaved .004 off each. Studs were torqued to ARP Specs in the correct sequence.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Once you go BLACK you'll have to go back ..... IN....... and do it again. Rethink this decision

·
Registered
102 Posts
I thought I changed my info.... I don't have BO head gaskets. They are in the dumpster along with another $3800.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill have to see how far the shop has gotten with the heads and installing the but as far as my code before it went to the shop p2290 hpop leak..........where are the areas i can leak other than standpipes dumy plugs stc fitting? and whats most likely where the problem is?

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
they can air test for leaks in the HP system to isolate the issue .
and for the record I wasn't suggesting to replace your HPOP just that a leak in that system is the reason for the code not stiction in an injector.
I think the STC fitting is a good bet

I hope you can have them swap out the BO gaskets it may cost you a few more $$ but worth it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I would of knew about the bad track record before I got the gaskets but im having them change them out to oem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2 yrs ago I researched and researched here and other places and everyone said.. "BO" was the best. It took a few people like myself to realize that they were made by a company that had some previous problems. I wished they would not allow people and businesses to close or go bankrupt and then reopen under a new name.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So ive got a question. I thought I had the new style pump and the shop called me and said that I dont need to install the stc fitting because I have the older style pump. My truck is a 2004 with the newer style engine because the icp sensor is on the valve cover. Just wondering where my p2290code was comming from cause I really thought it was going to be the stc fitting.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
the 05s abd up have the stc - not the 03's or 04's.

Many places can cause a P2290
ICP (even the ones on the valve cover)
IPR
HPOP
HPOP cover leak
oil rail o-rings at the injectors
etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get rid of those pos gaskets and go OEM, good luck w/the rest of the work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If there was a leak it wouldnt start right?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
not necessarily -

You need 500 psig to start. The HPO system can develop up to 4000 psig.

It is just like your water pipes ............... some will leak at a low pressure and some will leak at a higher pressure. Quite a difference between 500 psig and 4000 psig. It just depends on how bad the problem is.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The shops gonna have everythong installed by next week and they told me there going to get the truck running and then see if the truck still pops off the p2290 code.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts