Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

p1509 code and weird stuff happening

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  king dinger 
#1 ·
hello. I am the proverbial new guy that just googles issues with my 6.0 and reads about the fixes without ever creating an account. I believe that makes me a leech....until now. I am out of town training and my 06 f350 is losing all of its snot past 50 mph. I noticed it seemed to bog a little yesterday while i had the cruise set at 60 and the rpm guage would move a little(like 200-300 rpm). I pulled over and let it idle and it seemed to clear up and I drove another 60 miles or so and it literally took about 15 seconds to get from 50 to 60 mph. It has been really cold here in wisconsin, was -5 on friday and I just put in new batteries on friday as well. I had the check engine light come on today and I went to have the code ran and it came back as a p1509. The guy who ran it said something about a high rpm loss which I was experiencing but when I google the code it says it is idle control system short circuited. I recently put an 8 inch lift with 38.5 nittos and i had my abs light come on. Yesterday that light started to go off temporarily? No idea why. When I ran the abs code, it was low voltage to the front right sensor. I dont think they are related in any way, was just odd that it went away all of a sudden when the motor problem started. Anybody have any experience similar to mine with losing the high rpm power or the p1509 code. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the motor is bone stock. thanks

#2 ·
Ive my abs light go on and off when it was stock and lifted. Never really found an issue other than at the same time the speed and tach would go to 0 then back up or I'd be going 60 and it say 25. Talked to a ford diesel tech frend and he said these trucks are prone to having the gauge cluster to go off like this and need to be replaced.

As for the code. Maybe has something to do with the pto wires shorting, not really sure about that.

#3 ·
1. you could have low fuel pressure(do blue spring update)
2. use only OEM filters(switch to 5w40 synthetic oil and see if it helps any(if so, get some rev-x oil additive)
3. could be sticking turbo veins(would need to be removed and cleaned.
4. could be slight injector stiction(changing to 5w-40 synthetitic and adding rev-x would cure that.

#4 ·
well, the code went away, came back as a 2290 code. I changed out the fuel filters but today it started rough, idled and died. I drove it about 10 miles, ran into school to grab my daughter, went to leave and it died after about 100 feet. restarted it and it is fine. I am going to change the oil this weekend. Where do i get a kit to do the blue spring update?

#8 ·
thanks for all the help but I am done trying to solve it..... it #### the bed on me today with my wife and kids in it.... going down the road, went to turn and it shut completely off, having and 8 inch lift and 38's doesn't make it easy to turn without powersteering. I came to a stop, it wouldn't restart so i called for a tow to a mechanic.... i'll let u know what they say, I changed both fuel filters and to a motocraft oil filter with rev x and amsoil 5w-40, it ran good for a few days and then it was back to falling on its face today. On the positive side, 2 people stopped to tell me what a nice looking truck I have!

#9 ·
Has the stc fitting on the hpop been updated? The p2290 code your getting is for low ICP, which is low oil pressure to the injectors. It can come from a number of sources, but all 05+ trucks will have this fitting fail at some point, leaving them stranded as in your case. If the fitting has never been updated that would be my guess. If it has been updated I would think you have a high pressure oil leak at the standpipes or dummy plugs. Let us know what you find out.

#10 ·
What does stc stand for? I have never done anything to the motor as far as an upgrade, just change oil, air, and fuel filters but I will post what the mechanic says as soon as I hear from him. I have 96000 miles and have been completely trouble free til this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.