Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this code more than anything else over the last 20 years. Fussed with checking resistance on the glow plugs about 3-4 years ago and finally took it in and they replaced a bank of glow plugs. It's back again. Bank 1... (Passenger side right) Ohmed all 4 GP's through valve cover harness and readings are .5 to .8 ohms. Not sure what else to do. If they are all testing within range what next?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing some more testing the GPR is not shutting off. Engine is warm and it's about 70 degrees. Turn the key to on and I measure 12.4 volts across both GPR terminals and after 2-1/2 minutes relay is still on.

·
7,985 Posts
on a cold engine block, the glow plugs can stay powered for up to 3 minutes depending on temperatures.
just because the wait to start light goes out, that does not mean the glow plugs are not still working.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
IIRC the ohm spec 2.3-3.4 ohms
The ohm range for the ZD-11's is 0.6 and 2 ohms for good glow plugs.

How do your pass through connectors look when you pulled the connector off?

As for the relay not shutting off, have you checked it after a few minutes. As was mentioned they can stay on for up to 2 or so minutes even when the outside air temperature is 70 degrees.

I also noticed that you show that it is a Cal truck. Does it have a regular glow plug relay or does it have the shunt on top still?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If he doesn't chime in here send a PM to Patrick Feeley

I believe that he is one of the best on here for questions about a California truck

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
The glow plugs will turn on even when the engine is warm sometimes, just not for very long. I've had a GPR fail on me a long time ago, and my truck didnt start when it was 90* outside, just white smoke out the exhaust.

So like the guys above said, make sure the GPR goes through its cycle. If the GPR didn't shut off for 5-10 min after starting, I'm assuming the wires would almost melt themselves apart, as they do draw a lot of power!

EDIT: A good read for some info on your Cali truck that I've saved; https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/17-1994-1997-power-stroke-technical-info/565047-7-3l-f250-difficulty-starting.html#post6162251

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
My truck would occasionally have the code too. I never knew what caused it, but I switched to a Wester Plow relay and have not had any issues in the years since. Make sure all connections at the shunt are clean and tight. I've attached a TSB regarding an issue with certain trucks as well as the Glow Plug System pinpoint tests. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I have one of those larger relays that I put on about 10 years ago. It may have finally started to fail. Amazon delivered a new one this afternoon so I’ll put that in and clear codes and see if that fixes it. Mine is a California truck with the shunt as well.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't think that the relay is the problem. If you are getting a bank code it may be a problem with the shunt.

If the relay was staying energized all the time you would quickly notice it when the truck was off with the battery draining in a short time.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts