Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would this code cause the truck to fall on its face and when you turn the truck off and restart its fine

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
That code covers the IDM. All that code is telling you is you need to pull the codes from the IDM to see what's going on. I am not sure if AE software can do it. Fords Software can.

Now it could mean the IDM is not working right. Or it could be the wires that run to the injectors are shorting out OR the under valve cover plugs are loose. But the thing od turning it off then back on and its fine is the head-scratcher part.

How long will it run ok then start to run bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That code covers the IDM. All that code is telling you is you need to pull the codes from the IDM to see what's going on. I am not sure if AE software can do it. Fords Software can.

Now it could mean the IDM is not working right. Or it could be the wires that run to the injectors are shorting out OR the under valve cover plugs are loose. But the thing od turning it off then back on and its fine is the head-scratcher part.

How long will it run ok then start to run bad?
its hit or miss sometimes it might go a week or month

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Your problem could be the IDM, the harness, or the injectors.

If the IDM sees a problem with the harness or injectors it will shut down that whole bank of injectors until it is repaired.

Get yourself a digital volt/ohm meter and run through these test:

Attachments

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
its hit or miss sometimes it might go a week or month
Is there anyone local that has a good IDM you could test? OR you could buy a good one to test. If you have a scan tool you could run a Injector Buzz test. This will tell you if the injectors are getting power and if they are good. But being it is only hit or miss it could be the IDM.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
When you did the buzz test did they all fire nice and load? Or were some muffled? If they all performed right then your harness should be good. If it was bad they would not get the signal needed to fire right.

I still wonder if the IDM is on the way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts